Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Re-wire 1890 home - help!

G'day all --- I'm looking into getting my new (well old actually) home re-wired.

To paint you a picture: it is a 1890 miners cottage that has 4 original rooms with a dining room, bathroom and kitchen extended in the 50s-70s (unsure). Some of the electrical works in the house, but in other rooms it doesnt'. So we imagine it is going to need a full re-wire. It is double brick and only the original 4 rooms have a ceiling cavity, the extension has nothing. The walls are that funny horse hair plaster stuff - the dining room and kitchen seem to be something different though. As we are fairly new at this and aren't too confident naming the materials, I seek help and advice on the best options to re-wire.
    Does anyone have any insight into the best approach for a project like this. We want to be in the know prior to having an electrican come out and see the place, as we don't want them to take advantage of us and overprice the job.

Also does any one have a price range for a job like this?

Any tips/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would reckon the best way is to get several quotes. That way you are less likely to be taken advantage of. I would imagine that there are so many possible variables that without actually seeing the place there will little chance anyone could give you even a ballpark figure. You could go over to the renovate forums and ask in the electrical section there.

Peter
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

thanks peter - we are definately going to get a few different quotes. I will also check out the renovator forum.

Good luck with it and I hope you post some pic's.
    David
    giveitagoturning @hotmail.com