<div>Hi,

I am about to embark on my next project, being a deck. First of all I would like to thank people like utemad and raff, you have already made my job a lot easier.

Anyway, I am attempting to choose a decking timber, and thought I would seek some opinions.

Originally I was going to use stick standard 140x25mm Merbau. However, on the weekend I went to the Canberra Home and Leisure expo and saw a product called ‘smartdeck’ Smartdeck which is an engineered bamboo product – positives is that its super straight and can be ordered in any length. Negatives, well im not sure and the supplier certainly wasn’t going to tell me – anyone had any dealing with this product, or have any opinions.

I also went down to the local chain hardware store, where I was shown a product called ‘Hyne Decking’ – in particular the ‘mixed hardwoods’ this is 100% Australian timber made up of mainly Iron Bark and Spotted Gum. It comes in a 136 x 19mm. Again I was wondering if anyone has had any experience and/or opinions about this product. I did notice that this timber is not reeded like the Merbau – does this matter?

I am sure there are another million products I could use, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a general overiew of my project, the deck is low level