Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default i made a mess of my wifes accordeon

As a boat builder I usually donot come to this part, but now I have a question that (I hope) can be answered her.

My wife plays an accordeon. A real beautiful one, made in Italy. Now I was doing something with a bottle of nail paint (is that the name? my wife puts it on her toes), the bottle fell from the table on her accordeon and most of the stuff came out on her accordeon. I survived, but I cannot remember how.

She kindly asked me to repair the damage. As the accordeon has (had) a beautiful polished finish I donot want to damage that.

Question: how to repair the damage?? I am a rather experienced boatbuilder, so i know a little bit about painting. But this is not a painting job, I think.

Thanks for your help!

SOLing
    Wer sich nicht bewegt, fuehlt die Fessel nicht /Rosa Luxemburg

(If you don't move, you don't feel the chains)

I assume it is a wood finish? If you got any on the keys or bellows there may be other issues. A lot of accordians are made with a lot of plastic, similar to pickguard materials.

I think some photos would really help.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Not sure about being able to preserve the existing finish, depends on what finish it is. On the other hand, you have a ready solvent for the nail polish, nail polish remover, or acetone. Either that or physical removal, scrape scratch pick, whatever it takes. I don't know of anything else that will remove nail polish, worst case I suppose it having to try and refinish the accordian if existing suface isn't salvageable

regards

Methinks a job for the professionals. Ask around the better shops in your are that sells accordions, pianos etc. You could also check with cabinet makers, restorers for recommendations.

I's "nail polish," I sometimes use the stuff to hold screws in place. A little dab of clear nail polish on my specs does me.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Johncs View Post
    I's "nail polish," I sometimes use the stuff to hold screws in place. A little dab of clear nail polish on my specs does me.
    I'll have to remember that one John.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Ethanol (methylated Spirits) will also remove nail polish but won't or at least shouldn't hurt any of the plastic dunny seat material (which I think is some sort of cellulose/plastic) they use on accordions. At least it didn't when I cleaned up one that had shellac splashed on it some 20 odd years ago.

Try it in an inconspicuous spot first but pretty sure it'll be OK.

keithkarl2007 Guest

nail varnish remover or acetone, DNA might also work (De-natured alcohol)