Hey all.

In last few years I have had my entire kitchen redone in MDF/laminex, quite a nice job as far as the material normally goes. Anyway was wanting to get one of the bench tops extended, with an inbuilt dishwasher installed under the extension section.

Since its quite a small kitchen the bench tops are 500mm instead of the normal 600mm, yet most of the build-in dishwashers ive seen (including some very sexy BOSCHE units) are dimensioned at 573mm depth, clearly designed for 600mm cabinetwork.

My question is, since there is a non-load bearing plasterboard/stud work wall behind where the dishwasher will theoretically go, and there is no actual studowork in this vicinity (I'm not sure what the centres are but they seem to be quite large) how common/difficult/expensive would it be to conform a 573mm build-in dishwasher into a 500mm benchtop by going 73mm into the hollow section of the 90mm studd wall? Has is it done much?

From all the diagrams ive looked at, these dishwashers are designed to have their backs sit absolutely flush with the back of whatever they go into, with all electrical, plumbing and water access coming into a small 'kicker' section at the bottom of the hind side, so I can't see how it could create any problems, if anything there would be potentially more space for utilities to run.

Any comments or advice? Also there are already water pipes (both hot and cold) running through the cavity into which the dishwasher should go that service the shower, as well as a GPO right above it and a hollow space under the adjacent cabinetwork leading to the sink trap for further utility space.

Any help appreciated!

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...