Hi there,

We are in the process of renovating our house, and have pulled up carpet from most of the rooms and want to sand and polish the whole lot. The majority of the floors look like what is in the attached picture. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what type of timber this looks like?

In two rooms there are thick pine boards. We are not sure whether to stain these the same colour as the rest of the house or leave them light. We are hesitant to stain as we don't want it to look like stained pine (ie. we would want a really natural look), but if we leave it light there is going to be a stark colour difference between the rooms. Would this look ridiculous?

Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with staining pine dark, or have a house that has two different coloured timber floors?

The condition of the kitchen floor is not so great - masonite was nailed down with lino on top, so there are alot of nail holes and quite a few nails had to be hammered back in cos the heads broke off when we tried to pull them out. I really like the look of high gloss, but will this make the imperfections even more obvious?

My dad is polishing his floors soon and is going to use a water based polyurethane cos it doesn't smell so much. Is this as tough/ durable as the regular polyurethane? I would prefer not to have to move out while it is being done if possible.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...