Default painted artwork samples...

Hello again, thought I'd move my reply to my introduction post here if that's OK?

For those who are interested, I have attached some samples of my artwork. My style varies, and depends on the medium I paint onto, either natural wood or MDF. **I have now veered away from MDF however and prefer to paint only onto natural/raw wood.

I don't have photos of much of my exhibited work as they were done over ten years ago, before the convenience of digital cameras.
    Unfortunately, the quality of the photos don't show the fine detailed brushwork, especially the feathers, fur or eyes. Still, they are an indication of what I do.
    I often use a 10/0 round brush - if you can call a scant couple of hairs a 'round brush'.

I'd like to add more detail to the pieces I will paint from now on as well as experiment with a different style. I will also focus on fauna found here on the eastern side such as koalas, wombats etc.
    I look forward to finding new and interesting wood pieces in the near future - I just need to know where to find those lovely little slices of wood or burl that call to my brushes.

Cheers all.

Very nice Burlgirl, you are very talented.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Very nice selection of work.

Lovely stuff Burlgirl. Tell us more about what you have found out about surface preparation, what kinds of paint you use, and what do you finish it with over the top, if anything.

Thumbs up

Beautiful Burlgirl!!

CAn see you will have plenty to show off.

Love the wrens and robin. I have fondness for wrens in particular. I got into my car one day when it was parked in the driveway and before I could start a blue wren landed on the windscreen wiper, right before my one good eye, and pecked seeds and whatever for breakfast.

Thanks guys,

Yes, I love our birds in Australia. We lived in the country for 17 years and were so lucky to be visited by many species. My favourites too are the wrens as they became used to us whilst having a cuppa under the ancient apple tree and would bring their young families close down to the ground and fossick for food and insects. The boys blue coloured plumage is so beautiful.

I paint with Jo Sonja acrylic gouache and use their mediums as well, as they are complimentary to the paints.
    As long as the wood is generally "clean" (no machine sanding or prep required), I sand the surface and then use JS All Purpose sealer, which is an excellent sealer and it gives the paints 'tooth' to adhere to.
    If I'm using a piece of pine say, that has a large knot which could pose a problem with staining the paint layer, I'll use JS Tannin Block Sealer - it is also excellent as a 'size' for gold leaf.
    After painting has cured (I usually leave it a day), I use JS matt or satin varnish. They are non-yellowing and are a safe bet that all my hard work doesn't react with a non-compatible varnish - this I know after trial and error experiences years ago .
    The varnish can be brushed or sprayed on for a super smooth finish.