I'm going to rejoist (not rejoice) my kittchen area and I am looking at potential problems, I currently have 135mm baltic pine floorboards, now I done some searching and can only get 100mm or 150mm, but the bigger issue is the way the current floor is held up with bearer spanning 3/4 of the floor and sitting on railway lines (CHOO CHOO).

My kitchen is a second story and not much chop, so I plan on reducing the height of the floor 19mm for T&G and then put spotted gum down. The current joists/bearer are hardwood and I want to span this room and going to use 240x90 hyjoist which will do the job. I plan on knocking out a wall which the bearer sits on, this wall used to hold up the roof but now the roof is spanned by trusses and the outside walls are not going to be effected.

I was wondering if I should go down this path or change my design here as my concern is with the joist is 90 deg to the outside wall and it sits under the bottom plate of the wall/roof, If I was to pull the floor out I wondered if the joist does hold any racking forces for the house. Or I should leave the joists in or some of it but remove the bearer and attach to the new joists.

The alternative is I have to put in new bearers to support the current floor and span the whole floor which I might have an issue with ceiling height under.

The other piece to the jigsaw here is I am taking out a wall and trying to achieve the same flooring in an open plan room, either way since I cant get the baltic floorboards I dont want to have a patched up floor.

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...