Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Exclamation Hi! I need help..

Hello! I am currently a year 12 student in sydney, and I am doing a subject called 'design and technology'.

I have recently completed my major work, and i was hoping a few of you could answer the following 6 questions in reference to the below picture??

It would be really helpful for my folio evaluations.

1. How much would you pay for this item on the market?
    2. What would you rate the aesthetics of this item (out of 10)?
    3. What would you change about the item?
    4. Does the colour scheme appeal to you?
    5. Where would you put this item if you were to purchase it?
    6. Why does this item appeal to you/not appeal to you?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me, especially within the next 12 hours. I left this far too late.

Tahnee

1. I wouldn't buy it personally but guess some people would.
    2. 4
    3. Probably the legs.
    4. The timber, yes. seat, No
    5. Rumpus room
    6. I don't really like the high back and the seat doesn't look comfortable. The design is
    not really the type of style I would buy because it wouldnt fit in with the furniture I
    have in my house. If I had to say something in favour, I would say the timber is quite
    nice.

I hope this might help you. Sorry to be so negative but my opinion is only my personal taste and I am sure many would favour your design.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thumbs up

G'dy Tahnee and welcome to the world of many opinions.

Here goes:

!. Depends on the material used and the labour required to build it plus a profit margin.

2. 5

3. legs and the line of the back.

4.Timber is fine. Seat and cushions are in conflict with the timer.

5. Like John, the Rumpus Room.

6.I like the concept you have tried to execute, however, I think that you got lost by not having the piece follow a unified style. For instance the back is square and conflicts with a nicely curved seat. The legs are metal. Why not timber? I would have preferred a laminated curved piece for the front of the seat.

How much would you pay for this item on the market?
    I would not buy this seat.
    What would you rate the aesthetics of this item (out of 10)?
    What would you change about the item?
    All of the construction - the concept is OK.
    Does the colour scheme appeal to you?
    Timber is dull.
    Where would you put this item if you were to purchase it?
    Family room.
    Why does this item appeal to you/not appeal to you?
    It lacks elegance IMO.

soth

hi tahnee, and welcome to the forum.
    good on you for producing something like this for a first attempt. i am impressed.
    you will find with furniture making that there is a huge learning curve, i have been working as a carpenter and joiner for 20 years and i am still learning every day.
    i will be as honest as i can, i hope my honesty/bluntness does not offend. look at it as constructive criticism.

1. a good quality item would be worth $2000+. i would not pay anything for your item, (sorry mate).

2. i rate the aesthetices at 1/10. i rate your effort and enthusiasm for furniture making at 10/10! congratulations!

3. change the height of the back piece, make it smaller. it needs more curves on the left and right side. the right angles look to aggressive and sharp. this is a piece of furniture you want to lie back and relax on. change the legs to timber, also change the choice of timber used on the front and sides. too many cuts, it would look better as one laminated veneer.

4. no, change the sofa colour to match timber, the colour selected looks like a neutral colour.

5. i would place it in a study room, so i could lie back on a lazy afternoon and read a book.

6. this style of furniture does appeal to me, your design does not. to sum it up mate, its close, but no cigar.

i hope i have not been too harsh, i reckon you have done a sterling job and i look forward to seeing your next piece.

best regards, justin.

You have put up a loaded question. If you are going to sell this at the market be happy with what you get. What you need to consider is the price of what the material / wood cost you. This price you can not go under, unless you just want to get rid of it. I still have my major work that made in year 12 wood working and that was a computer desk, some 21 years ago.

Yes we did have computers some 21 years ago. My other passion.

As to your answering your questions and my opion only.

1 Not my liking
    2 5
    3 More curves. Especially in the corner.
    4 No
    5 Sun Room
    6 Does not appeal

I will add that where I live there is a Sunday Market and sometimes there is a fellow selling furniture. These are more like garden and knock about items. You can tell that these items have been put together very quickly. It is what people want and by what I can tell they are buying the items. So there always a market just got to be in the right place to sell.

I hope we have not scared you off. Come on keep posting.