Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do people still refer to the coast road as the QEB track? I think it was short for Qld Electricity Board because they pushed it through?

No, it isn't the coast road, the coast road is the now famous Bloomfield track build in '83-'84.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

We did the Daintree up to Cook Town in 1990. It was wet and I spent half a day pulling cars up hills and out of bogs.

When we got to the Bloomfield it was almost high tide and there was a line up waiting for the tide. Being young and silly we deceided not to wait.

It was the scariest river crossing I ever did. The water was up the drivers side window and washing over the bonnet.

The worst part it is like a causeway that droped off either side. My Land Cruiser filled up to the seats by the time we got across. It is also a wide crossing.

Never again it almost was more that water needed cleaning up!!!

Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

That reminds me of a time I was coming back into Townsville (with half a million bucks worth of Geo equipment on the back) via the Harvey Ranges and there had been some flash floods to the west. I came to this normally shallow crossing that was now swollen and flowing fast and brown. I decided to chance it as it was going to put another 80km to go around it.

Once the water got over the bonnet I could feel the landcruiser starting to slip sideways and I was about 1/4 of the way across - too far gone to reverse out.

I got across eventually but I almost had to change my undies afterwards!
    I recon that I'd slipped about 3m downstream by the time I'd reached the other bank

If the water had been fast flowing I would never attemted this crossing. Have witness the results of bad judgment crossing a deep fast flowing river. The sheer width of this crossing coupled with the depth made is so scary.
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Smile

Quaid road is still drivable . But has gates to stop you getting to the coast ,from mt molloy road , the coast road to cooktown is well worth doing , crossed the bloomfield in a jackaroo old one. Following a brumby ute so not too challenging . Low tide ! Cheers bob

Cool

ALSO dont walk across to check depth . untill crocs are fed . cheers Bob