Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Which Sander..Second Try

Need help on deciding on which sander to purchase...looking at either a Oscillating Edge Sander or a combination belt & disk sander. Largest piece of work thus far has been a corner cabinet. Will purchase one phrase at least. I'm new at this!

Sorry mate, can't help you with either, I only have handheld sanders - random orbital and plain ol' orbital, delta, and a 1 person powered sanding block !!

Possibly depends on how much edge sanding you will have to do, I would reckon the combo sander would be most versatile for general work but horses for courses.

Welcome to the board too !!

Good luck.............cheers..........Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

An oscillating spindle sander is about one of the handiest things around if you are making a lot of curved stuff.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Hi friend2,

Your question is a difficult one to answer as you don't give too much detail on what it is you are trying to do.

Like scooter most of my sanders are hand held but I do have a 14" disk sander and a linisher (belt sander) which are both stand alone machines. Must say I find they all have their uses, particularly the Fein sander.

In general the hand held sanders I use on completed items and restoration thereof. The fixed machines are more commonly used on production items where I'm working on works in progress.

Hope this helps you decide on what your applications are

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

I'm a similar deal to scooter. I've just got my handheld eccentric sander and a sanding block. However I have used fixed belt and disk combos. They are excellent for rounding off large bits of timber, you can even use them to shape steel, but watch the heat if you do that.