Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing green timber

Hi, I purchased some Victorian Ash from bunnings to make kitchen cupboard doors. When I started to run it thru the thickness planer it became quite wet and obviously is still pretty green. What can I do other than discard the timber & start again.

Thanks for any advice you can give GeoffH

not sure if you want to finish it or work it from your post. I'd be more worried about its stability during drying than the finish you're going to use... probably leave it for some time to acclimatise to your area, let the moisture content drop and then think about it. If its wet enough you'll get poor adhesion, blooming, blistering all possibilities in your finish.

You can not finish green timber with any sucess

Default Finishing green timber

Thanks for the response. The timber is in strips of 50mm x 15mm, if I let it dry out am I talking weeks or months?

Depends on the location, the dryer the site they're stored in the quicker they will dry out as the timber will try to achieve equilibrium with the environment in which it is stored. Actual time.... I can't help you much there... never need to seriously dry timber only acclimatise it.