Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default drill press and hairrrr

My woodwork teache a school is a Champion of a guy hes old but man he knows his stuff. I wonder why i get A's ... He has this pictue hanging up next to the drill press that says.

Watch where you hang it ... And there is a picture of somebodys scalp after all their hair has been rippe out after their hair was caught in a drill press.

Man its scary so all the girls in the class are like Hey adam can you please do this for me i dont have a elastic and im like Adam at ur service... LOl
    I may be 14 years old. But I love my wood...

At least you can still get hair nets at one of my local chemists, seems that in some suburbs/town you can no longer get them - like Melbourne (according to a friend who moved there recently)

My Grandfather was a foreman in a confectionary factory, back in the days when the workers supplied their own candles, and he often had to do 'first aid' on workers who got bits caught in machinery as he was the only one with a St. John's Certificate. One was a girl who would not wear a hair net while working at a toffee pulling machine, she lost the front half of her scalp. Eventually he was presented with a silver mounted pocket knife by the workers as he had performed so many amputations of caught clothing & body parts over the years, and he continued to put it to good use until he retired in the 1960's.

I have to admit that in my youth I too did something really stupid with drills and hair.

As I was young and financially hard-up in the early 1970’s with shoulder length unkempt hair I had to do all my own repairs on my car. This was a seemingly normal practice in those days for guys to do this (before they invented computer chips and electronics which precludes most of us from fixing anything these days on cars).

Once infamous day saw me having to replace a cylinder head gasket. This also required you to lap the valves using valve paste and a rotating implement to help match the valve to the valve seat. The correct way was to do it by hand, but I decided that if I stuck the valve stem in my drill, I could achieve the result much quicker than the normal to and fro motion.

Everything was going smashingly on my HR 6 cylinder cast-iron cylinder head. Close inspection usually showed how well the valves were being ground against the cylinder seats. Close inspection was good until……….as I was still spinning the valve with the drill – you guessed it, my hair got caught not in the valve or the valve stem, but inside the air vents of the drill while it was revolving.

I don’t know what hurt the most, the hair being ever tightened on my head because my finger had got wrapped in hair and jammed my finger onto the go button or the hysterical guffawing on the face of my wife when she saw me, calling out for help with a 20 kg cylinder head and a smoking drill being pulled against the top of my head. "I told you to get a ha ha ha haircut". In retrospect it must have been hilarious, particularly if no-one would have know what the hell I was doing with a cylinder head on my head.

I was lucky. I lost less hair than Shane Warne has had replanted and after having the power disconnected and being the butt of several minutes of jokes and finger pointing and laughing aloud, a quick trim with some scissors soon saw me right again. On the other hand the drill never worked again. The strength of human hair wrapped around an armature and frying the windings is testament to how lucky I was.

I learned my lesson. A small bald spot on my right hand temple is now matched by hair recession on the left. I use this humorous story to tell all the young’ uns now to make sure they realize the danger of clothing, jewellery and loose hair and rotating machinery.

I am sorry but I have to say

A very drilling experience.

As I'm often in situations where I'm using a hand-held drill overhead (working blind, as oft as not ) I know damned well how easily hair sucks into the bloody things. Fortunately I've never had my finger trapped on the on button, but it still hurts even when you do release the button in time.

I've never had my hair caught in a drill-press though... and I never want to!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

As an aside, if your whiskers get as long as those in Skew's avatar, be very carefull about getting half out of the car and stooping over the open door while you wind up the windows. You can come to a very abrupt halt when you try to stand up. Apart from becoming suddenly aware of your error, you can end up with a permanent bald spot in the facial fungus. Experience.

Adam, your teacher is a gem who understands that a picture is better than a thousand words, that pic would grab everyones attention and sink in, whereas a daily verbal warning would go over the top of many people young or old.

Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    if your whiskers get as long as those in Skew's avatar, .
    Surely that can not be Skew actual photo. No one can look that Good.

At high school (long long long ago) all of us guys with long hair had to ware hair nets working any of the machines at wood and metal work. We ribbed each other over it and had a bit of a moan but there was a scalped story around then too. Anyhow after all that care with the hair net I still seem to have lost most of mine somewhere along the line.

At trade school, early seventies, we not only saw the pics we got the film as well, any one who walked into the machine shop with long hair ( and that was all of us) and no hair net or beany was sent out

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    hair nets working any of the machines at wood and metal work
    Bring back the memory now, with the hair nets. Something I never had to wear. The long hair did not come until after I started work in an office.

I got my jumper caught in the automatic feed screw of a lathe as a kid. As a tech teacher, I am quite aware of dangers. A few years ago, my shoe caught on fire after wire wool was ignited by a 9v battery in electronics class. I tried to stamp out the fire. I had to go outside and find a puddle to put it out.

all this WHS stuff realy started to get going over the hair in rotating machinery thing in the seventies, because long hair was so common.

Probably the first piece of personal protective equipment we saw was the hair net.

eye & ear protection was still considered sissy and a whole pile of proper safety stuff was still not common.

BUT the long hair thing was really big..... probably because so may people got injured.

& I don't think it was the severity of dammage.....I think it was the mess and the gore........some bloke ( girls at this stage in the trades were rare) screamng, will blood all over his face & clothes and a big chunk of scalp missing will make even the toughest foreman feel a bit ill, and it was always the foreman or the man arts teacher that had to deal with the mess.

yeh the pictures and the films ( no videos yet) were gruesome enough....... but quite a few workshops had an actual chunk of scalp somewhere that was trotted out to frighten apprentices....... a handfull of hair with some blokes dried up, bloodied scalp still attached now that is gruesome.

remembering that..reminds me of the early eye safety film....in glorious black and white.....where there is footage of the doctor removing a metal splinter from a blokes eye with the huge electro magnet stuffed in the finger of the rubber glove......

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.