Hi all,

My father in law installed a new cavity sliding door for us as part of our ensuite reno and we ran into the problem of the wall having a wind brace in it. Our builder suggested that the best way to replace this was to put up some bracing masonite across the whole wall around the doorway and behind the new plasterboard. This we have done without a problem, but because of the additional thickness in the wall now, discovered that we have an issue with a fairly hefty gap between the cavity door jamb and the walls - see photo, is hard to explain in words.
Attachment 76116

I'm basically looking for some ideas on the best way to fix this problem. The two thoughts we've had so far are:
1. fixing a piece of filler timber of some kind along the gap and then architraves over the top (using gap filler to smooth over any imperfections - it will be painted after all) - timber filler would need to be 10mm or less (gap varies from about 10mm to just under on each side) - would MDF sheeting work?;
2. using a much thicker architrave than normal and cutting a profile into it to fit over the extruding gyprock - although I think this could give a good finish, am nervous about how we would actually achieve the profiling, plus as the gap is not uniform all the way round the door, this could cause issues.

So. Am seeking all your wonderful experience and wisdom to come up with a good solution for us. Hoping to get onto waterproofing next week, so need to sort this problem out this weekend.

Thanks!!

PS Please don't suggest that we take off the gyprock and start again - don't think I could face going backwards that far...

Attached Files architrave 1 copy.pdf (70.6 KB)

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...