I stand behind or above sanding machines staring at timber floors, all day long. I grovel around in cupboards and pantries and in corners, all day long, staring at timber floors. I punch millions of nails, I pull thousands of staples, all day long, staring at timber floors. What did I ever do to deserve this! I hate timber bloody floors.
Phew, got that of my chest. Now to my new house. It's NOT having timber floors, not quite.Just going to lay ply or chipboard, paint it, or maybe colour lime it and then a couple of clear coats over the top. Did this years ago on concrete and it came up a treat.
Trouble is I can't remember what type of paint I used, though I do remember clear coating with Beckothane.
This time I want to use a non yellowing clear coat, gulp, possibly water base, but preferably Polycure's Crystapol Non Yellowing Clear.
Just wondering a) is chipboard cheaper than ply? b) What type of paint is compatible with (shudder) water based poly and what type of paint works under solvent base poly? c) Will I need to sand the wax layer off the chipboard or just paint straight over a surface I'll attempt to cover and keep clean during the building process and d) anybody here ever used Crystapol or similar non yellowing solvent based before?
ps I don't really hate timber, that much, just not prepared to pay an arm and a leg for stuff that once upon a time people covered as soon as they could afford to.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...