I want to design a 10 x 6 shed. Steel. Corrugated iron roof, corrugated iron cladding. C section frame.

No experience. Never done anything like it before.

Seems sensible to me to start from the top - the roof - and work downwards so's I know the roof is adequately supported.

So I've got Lysaght's 'Referee' and I look up corrugated iron and I discover what area it will cover and I discover it needs support at such and such spacing.

So then I look up supports - C sections - and I see all kinds of information specifying exactly what each product is - but nothing to tell me what weights, loadings, they can carry.

So I think I'm missing a book or something. What should I use to enable me to design a shed so's the framing will adequately support roof and walls, allowing for wind, etc., and yet not be ridiculously over strong?

For instance if the roof needs supports at 1200mm that's say seven supports over a 10 metre length. They'll be purlins? Right? Whatever, they'll be resting on another steel member at the top of the wall. How strong does that member have to be to support the roof? How many supports does it need?

What steels can be used as supports for it?

regards,

ab

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...