Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pull apart lights - how to?

Anyone know how these sort of lights are put together? They are big glass balls, somewhat reminiscent of the cone of silence, with silver housing around the batten for the bulb. Made by Brilliant, sold in green shed across the land. Wife wants to paint the silver black.

20240509_130208.jpg20240509_130213.jpg20240509_130224.jpg

If I were tackling this I would treat it as any other light fitting. I would assume it to be a screw fit. Unscrew the white sleeve you can see in your 1st and 2nd photos by turning it anticlockwise. Heat can make these things damn tight. Sometimes they refuse to move, and on some occasions, I've taken a pair of pliers to them which essentially destroys the thing, but they're not expensive. If it comes to that, make sure there's no power getting to it.

I'm envisioning a hand on the outside at the cable, and with the other hand on the inside, pushing towards the first hand while twisting the inside silver.Other possibility is that inside the silver bit, the white bayonet surround screws off too

I would expect that it is just a pendant light fitting with some decorative covers, this is the piece that I would try and remove
    20240509_130213.jpg

Your first photo is out of focus so cant see if it is screw in or some type of clip arrangement

all good advice so far ... but recently I tried to get a newish (less than 10 years old) pendant light apart and no way.
    Had to destroy it.
    also had experience with some desk lights - they don't come apart like the old ones.
    once you smash em up you can see by the way they were built (crimps and clamps etc) it was a waste of time to try and dismantle.

Thanks all. Had tried everything suggested before posting earlier. no joy. @droog , the batten is held in hy two push in spots opposite each other dow bear its base. Absolutely no room for fingers. Thought it might unscrew.

Forever young may be right. All crimped together.

So, how does one paint the inside of that light. Hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    So, how does one paint the inside of that light. Hmmm..
    You could explore masking it completely inside and spraying a few light coats (pardon the pun)

Thanks all. Had tried everything suggested before posting earlier. no joy. @droog , the batten is held in hy two push in spots opposite each other dow bear its base. Absolutely no room for fingers. Thought it might unscrew.
    Probably something like these
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13491712...3ABFBMoLymkexj

Clip together, the slots in the base are probably where you insert the secret tool to release the clips

Forever young may be right. All crimped together.

this was the shade I wanted to replace - looks like it should come apart but no way.
    I was hoping to keep the support wire for a new shade but ended up having to replace the lot - kept the ceiling rose tho.

IMG_20230214_123212.jpgIMG_20230214_144421.jpg

Chaps, problem solved. used needle nose pliers, inserted as shown in the attached pic. Unscrewed the bayonet, and hey presto, there was one tiny little nut screwed onto the hollow threaded steel (that the wire passes through) holding it all together. Once that was undone, it all separated with ease.

Blue line below is the cable passing through the threaded rod. RED is the nut.
    Capture.JPG

The second light, exactly the same as the first, is not as friendly. I haven't been able to unscrew the nut. i will pull the cable through tonight and then use a long ratchet spanner on it.

Congratulations! Though, you’ve been more fortunate than me. My experience has been that I either destroy the thing with the pliers in removing it or the pliers leave it so damaged it might as well be tossed.

I wasn't gripping with the needle nose pliers, just using them for leverage to unscrew. Couldn't think of anything else that was long and thin that would fit.