Default What Bench Grinders, Wire Wheels, Polishing Wheel, Sanding Belt etc to buy for home

Hi

I have a std bunnings grade Bench Grinder and Wire wheel sort of like this

Bench Grinder.jpg

but one side is a wire wheel. I use it for basic home repairs and car modifications, like i make a bracket and need to soften an edge , or wire wheel a rusty bolt.

its about 20 years old though and I need to check the watts, I did see this comment under the reviews on the AEG above

Should have purchased this instead of the smaller 250 watt Ryobi. 500 watt is probably the minimum required for a decent bench grinder. Ryobi would constantly stall even on light duty jobs i.e sharpening mower blades. Grinder is well balanced with rubber mounts and a decent on / off switch block. Six year warranty means AEG is confident in the reality of their product
    certainly i have had it stall on me due to not enough power. So maybe a new bench grinder in 200mm? though it seems there is alot more available inc buffing pads in 150mm? plus what about the 16mm (5/8) spindle? another comment mentioned not as many options available.

Did see this for 200mm
    "
    If you're going do any sharpening like chisels and such, get the 8 inch. The 8 inch will have less curvature per inch than the 6 inch will."
    Addition 2

I want to add in something like this

Bench Grinder - Belt Linisher & Disc Sander.jpg

Any links, opinions on sizes, spindle size etc

this maybe??
    https://www.carbatec.com.au/carbatec...03&SearchPos=2

or if you are worried about stalling, get one of these, you'll never stall this and still be alive.
    https://www.capitalmachinery.com.au/...avy-duty-415v/

Quote Originally Posted by wozzzzza View Post
    this maybe??
    https://www.carbatec.com.au/carbatec...03&SearchPos=2

or if you are worried about stalling, get one of these, you'll never stall this and still be alive.
    https://www.capitalmachinery.com.au/...avy-duty-415v/
    with the carbatec one, you reckon that is better then the above linked AEG 200mm?

I see the 750w Carbatec says its low speed 1400rpm better for sharpening vs AEG 550w 2850 rpm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/aeg-550w...8yUTXMtkXWPCk8

I guess its not selectable speeds, what do you miss out on when your at 1400 vs the higher rpms

I have had a number of bench grinders over the last 45 years and my best one was by far the cheaper one which has been in use since 1976 and the only one I still have today although it's been on top of a container in the factory fro the last few years since we stopped demonstrations

The bulk of the grinders were 1hp - 2hp motor and either 8" or 12" wheel dia as much of the work they did was in woodturning classes and for sharpening turning tools I preferred the 12" which gives a less curved bevel on the tools and the 8" being used mostly for plane blades, and flat chisels.

My carving tools were never sharpened on a grinder but on an inverted belt sander to keep a flat bevel and work with much fined abrasive grits.

For an 8" (200mm) grinder I reckon this one could just fit the bill and serve you well for many years to come and at $104 and $120+ with free shipping looks the goods for a 2nd bench grinder. Have a look for similar on ebay and the price for identical one goes up from 104 to $116 to $120 and a bit more. Tool rests are a bit on the light side other than that it looks to be reasonably good value. Gotta say that the C/Tec one looks pretty good with decently solid tool rests, but t almost 3 times the price you could get better tool rests for the cheapy.

I made my own and they have served me well over the years. Plus with tool sharpening I use the tool rest as a hand rest rather than for the tool.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil

PS I would have loves the bigun from Capital Machinery in the above post had the 3 phase power to run it. But back then I could have retired for a couple of years on what it would have cost to buy.
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes around 40 seconds!