Thread: Table saw motor

Default Table saw motor

I inherited a Ryobi table saw. Inherited=found it in a broken down shed on a property I bought. Left behind by the previous owner. There was an old tarp over it, but there was a layer of dust on the table and mouse droppings galore.

I hadn’t bothered with it as I figured if the owner didn’t want it then it probably wasn’t up to much.

Anyway, I got around to plugging it in on the weekend, and in so far as I can tell it’s okay. I haven’t tried to cut anything with it. There’s a layer of rust on the blade.

So, my question is this. It’s about the motor. It starts without issue as noted, but when I switch it off it stops quick smart. Is that to be expected? It’s like a drive belt is dragging on something, but I don’t know if it would have a belt. (I doubt it.)

The thing is, I kind of expected to see the blade continuing to rotate for a while before coming to rest. A bit like my angle grinder does after I switch off. When I switch the table saw motor off it stops really quickly. It’s almost as though the motor has a brake on it that is applied when switched off. As I’ve never owned one of these things before I don’t know what to expect.

So is it direct drive or belt driven ?

If belt, them remove belt and see which shaft is not freely spinning. Remove any bearings and re-lubricate.
    If direct drive re-lubricate the bearings in the motor.

No idea at this stage. The cover retaining screws have a nice touch of rust. They may need to be drilled out. All good suggestions Droog, and a project for a free weekend.

Do you know if these things are designed to slow the revs down quickly when the power is shut off? I had been wondering if it was a safety feature. But who knows - it might be a dead mouse gumming up the works.