Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default embedding plaster paper tape and base coat over the top in one go

My question is about base coating over wet paper plaster tape. I know plasterers say to embed your paper tape without putting base coat over the top of it until it has set. I assume this is to avoid getting bubbling in the tape. I have found this works to help avoid getting bubbles. However I have also found that if you use a really wet mix I have been able to plaster over the top of the wet tape as well in one go without getting bubbles. I have also found that if I use a nice creamy mix and spray the base coat with water before putting the tape on this also avoids getting bubbles in the tape and I can base coat straight over straight away without having to use a sloppy mix. I havn't come across any problems with this spraying a light water mist before taping method. can anyone tell me if this is a bad thing to do or is it ok? Also I've noticed plasterers using mesh tape for ceiling cut out repairs. I assume to save time and they must think if everthing is done well and if there is plenty of noggins and rafters then its not too bad using mesh tape sometimes. Look forward to reading your comments!

Mesh tape will crack, personal experience and the plasterers on the old renovate forum concur.
    Have always overcoated the paper tape when setting joins, only time I have had bubbles is when there is insufficient moisture to fully wet the tap. I use a spray bottle if I have doubts to make sure it is wet.

Not a professional but it works for me.

https://youtu.be/DRGWWA2wHso?si=NnQ0rTV1Ne0O7KD1

Rod Dyson was once quite active on the old reno site, and has heaps of these videos online