Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fixing something to shower wall without leakage.

I need to hang something in a shower and it requires two screw holes. Timber framed walls, with villaboard and tiles. There isn’t much choice over where to put the screws so they may land on a stud or they may miss - not sure.

I’m paranoid about leaks. Is there a fitting or solution available which does this job with minimal chance of leak. Putting globs of silicone in the hole and smearing it around the outside doesn’t do it for me - too hit and miss.

Hoping there is something on the market I don’t know about.

Thanks
    Apologies for unnoticed autocomplete errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    I need to hang something in a shower and it requires two screw holes. Timber framed walls, with villaboard and tiles. There isn’t much choice over where to put the screws so they may land on a stud or they may miss - not sure.

I’m paranoid about leaks. Is there a fitting or solution available which does this job with minimal chance of leak. Putting globs of silicone in the hole and smearing it around the outside doesn’t do it for me - too hit and miss.

Hoping there is something on the market I don’t know about.

Thanks
    Dont believe there is any option, once the waterproof membrane has been applied any penetrations are a breech of that membrane.
    The only option is reduce the risk potential, the common one is silicone on the fasteners. The placement of any penetrations will also affect the risk potential, through the floor or directly in the splash zone have a high potential, low on the wall outside the splash zone is a medium. High on a wall well outside the splash zone is really only likely to be affected during cleaning and should present a lower risk.

Alternatives for fixing is another option, suction fittings or use of adhesives possibly epoxy based for permeant items may be an option.

If you do find an alternative make sure you post it up here, I for one would be interested in any options.

Some detail of what and where (how high) you are installing would help.

Your bathroom installer/plumber just used copious silicone or similar, right... And frankly they probably cared a lot less than you