Default Shade sail anchor??

On my portal frame steel shed.
    I already have a stainless steel eyebolt mounted on the shed but it goes through the main C-section upright of the portal frame.
    But where I need to put this anchor there is no upright only the smaller horizontal C-section that the external sheeting screws to.
    While I am confident in the strength of the first attachment shown in the pictures I'm not sure that the same 12mm eyebolt would be strong enough if just set in the horizontal stringer.
    Any suggestions on easy ways to strengthen the attachment?
    More pix if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As far as I can remember from the build; the only thing holding the horizontal stringer to the shed frame are 2 * 6mm Tek screws at each side into the flange of the uprights and I'm not confident that the holding power of the combined 8 Tek screws [ plus the further 8 to the diagonals at the sides ] would be enough to hold a big shade sail if we get a large gust of wind like last weeks that ripped a couple of the older shade sails I had up in the front shading the West face of the house. I am assuming the the anchor would be a point load

Or should I call the horizontal steel member a girt?

what is to stop you putting the 2nd anchor on the other vertical member?
    ok, I guess your sail won't reach there?
    but a longer chain?
    or run a wire/chain between the 2 anchors and then run another wire from that to the sail?

You could add a bolt to that other intersection which will tie the horizontl c-purlin to the upright, just like the eyebolt is now doing on the other intersection. If you're worried about the purlin deforming from a load in the centre you could screw another c-purlin to it and take the eyebolt through both, but the gauge of your purlins looks pretty heavy in the photo so may not be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    what is to stop you putting the 2nd anchor on the other vertical member?
    ok, I guess your sail won't reach there?
    but a longer chain?
    or run a wire/chain between the 2 anchors and then run another wire from that to the sail?
    Anchor needs to be midway between the two posts, but the previous suggestion would add a lot of peace of mind. And that bolt could be another long eyebolt just in case. I just came back from Bunnys too.

Not only did I need to buy that new eyebolt but also a new long shank drill bit.
    I'm a bit paranoid that this summer will be long and hot and I want to keep this open area as cool as I can.
    The girt is of reasonable size being 90 * 60mm but less than a half millimetre thick but I have a couple of large plate washers here [ 100 * 100 * 5mm] that might work to spread the load somewhat, I have no scraps of the top-hat floating around or I would double up but it seems to be a custom size or I would do that as well.
    Does any internal reinforcing have to be the same? Would using a length of braceply cut to around 100 * 300 and screwed to the flanges make any appreciable difference? Steel even at a half millimetre thick is probably as strong but all I have are some offcuts of ceiling / plaster battens and they are very flimsy