Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  35
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  3
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When SWMBO Has a Brain Wave

Mrs P. casually mentioned about 12 months ago that if the way the pool fence was built was to be changed it would make sweeping and cleaning the deck around the pool so much easier. I explained that we had consulted with her before it was built and had built it to her specifications so the suggestion was dropped as all I could see was a lot of hard work and I try to avoid that these days. Anyway it got mentioned again a short while ago and I ducked for cover again but today was the day I bit the bullet and recruited my son to help, fair is fair, if I have to do it he can get involved as well. We all wander down the back and Master P. shakes his head at what she wants to do and tries to explain that it achieves very little.

I should explain here how it is built, I put in the posts and bolted top and bottom horizontal rails to them and the slats are treated pine decking ripped in half and held onto the rails by stainless steel screws, all good except that behind the fence is nothing except air as it drops off several metres to the ground. The plan is to put the slats on the outside of the rails so the leaves and dead animals don't get trapped between the slats when sweeping the deck. It is over hung by some monster stringy barks so it gets heaps of leaves and bits of tree and needs constant attention.

The only way I could see to do it without problems was to remove enough slats so we could reach behind them and screw them back on. Then Mrs P. says why don't you just undo the horizontal rails and turn it over and bolt it back on, slats and and all. Women are not expected to know stuff like this or have better ideas than us men who have been doing men stuff for years and I must admit to feeling like a dill and having to admit that it was a damned good idea and took exactly 15 minutes against god only knows how many hours my way. It is just not cricket and us men should avoid situations such as this as much as possible.
    CHRIS

Chris, your story reminded me of a similar situation with a fellow doing Mobile Welding on a factory we were building. The whole job was nearly finished but the Engineer wanted extra Fly Braces fitted to make "sure". This Welder guy used to do all sorts of additions and mods to factory frames that were used. Anyway, it was School Holidays and he had his 12 year old son for an Off-sider. The welder guy had a "system" worked out where he would set up his extension ladder, take said brace up with him (its been a long time to remember exactly what/how he did it).....anyway the kid watches Dad do his thing on a few braces then says "If you were to do "X" and take "Y" up with you at the same time, would that make the job go quicker?" The welder stopped and thought for a while and did exactly what the 12 year old had suggested......and yes it took a lot of time off what should have been a long job.

Just goes to show how we (as men) need to listen to others even though "others" may not be as "experienced" as us men
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Both stories prove that none of us has a mortgage on knowledge.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

One of my old bosses from a few decades ago, used to race cars as a hobby, and rebuild engines (ferrari, Lotus, TVR etc).

He would tell me, that the best person to have around when working on cars, is someone who knows nothing about them ie wife, girlfriend etc.

Typically they ask the (to us men) dumbest questions and profer the best solutions by accident.

History has proven his wisdom, regarding this, to me over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Mrs P. casually mentioned about 12 months ago that if the way the pool fence was built was to be changed it would make sweeping and cleaning the deck around the pool so much easier. I explained that we had consulted with her before it was built and had built it to her specifications so the suggestion was dropped as all I could see was a lot of hard work and I try to avoid that these days. Anyway it got mentioned again a short while ago and I ducked for cover again but today was the day I bit the bullet and recruited my son to help, fair is fair, if I have to do it he can get involved as well. We all wander down the back and Master P. shakes his head at what she wants to do and tries to explain that it achieves very little.

I should explain here how it is built, I put in the posts and bolted top and bottom horizontal rails to them and the slats are treated pine decking ripped in half and held onto the rails by stainless steel screws, all good except that behind the fence is nothing except air as it drops off several metres to the ground. The plan is to put the slats on the outside of the rails so the leaves and dead animals don't get trapped between the slats when sweeping the deck. It is over hung by some monster stringy barks so it gets heaps of leaves and bits of tree and needs constant attention.

The only way I could see to do it without problems was to remove enough slats so we could reach behind them and screw them back on. Then Mrs P. says why don't you just undo the horizontal rails and turn it over and bolt it back on, slats and and all. Women are not expected to know stuff like this or have better ideas than us men who have been doing men stuff for years and I must admit to feeling like a dill and having to admit that it was a damned good idea and took exactly 15 minutes against god only knows how many hours my way. It is just not cricket and us men should avoid situations such as this as much as possible.
    Clicked Pictures by mistake.
    Totally agree with what has been stated here the lady of the manor wants to change your direction irrespective of the effort involved.Over time my wife has been a guiding light, thinks things through but her negotiating skills don't always come to pass moreover when the work is directed towards my way out of the workshop.As we get along in years we need to hone the negotiating skills.
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Chris,

All too often humility and open mindedness are forgotten and egoistic bluster is substituted. Lately I've become interested in the history and of technology and scientific innovation. There are numberless examples of innovations that were held up or killed by petty interference. As Max Planck famously (more or less) observed:
    "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."
    I've had the privilege of sitting several times to review grant applications over the past few years and to my consternation I've found that a significant fraction of scientists are, for want of a better term, rigidly incrementalist. Many times only showing willingness to approve for funding those applications that are 'safe'. This attitude manifested most strongly in sessions that considered applications that were received in response to solicitations that were explicitly targeted to high-risk high-reward endeavors. Anything that questions the status quo ante is more likely than not to be unfairly criticized or rejected, particularly if money and/or ego are on the line. A very well written treatment is to be found in this book.

Merchants of Doubt cover shot.JPG

I recommend it highly.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

Reminds me of an historical story that illustrates good leadership.
    When the Endeavour was holed on the barrier reef near Cooktown, the pumps were not keeping up with the water coming in, and it looked like the ship could be lost.
    Fortunately, a Midshipman had previously used the technique of fothering - using a sail with hair, wool & oakum to block the hole - and approached Cook about using it. Cook accepted the suggestion, put the middy in charge of doing it and, when it was successful, acknowledged the instigator in his journal.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I have found during my working life that bosses are the least likely people to accept suggestions from those under them in respect to improvements etc but are the most likely to claim responsibility if such an idea works. I don't care who claims what, if it made my life easier I was always for it.
    CHRIS

rrich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I have found during my working life that bosses are the least likely people to accept suggestions from those under them in respect to improvements etc but are the most likely to claim responsibility if such an idea works.
    I can put a name to that.

I would like a dollar for every time I have said that.

Cheers

Duog
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post

I would like a dollar for every time I have said that.

Cheers

Duog
    That is brilliant.
    TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

I was once at a meeting where we had a time and motion guy give us advice.
    He made the point that quite often the best ideas would come from the laziest worker simply because he wanted to make live easier.
    Cheers Fred

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with the light on.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/fredsmi ... t_creative"

Updated 26 April 2010
    http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbelly View Post
    He made the point that quite often the best ideas would come from the laziest worker simply because he wanted to make live easier.
    I once did a trade show with the bloke who invented those folding ladders, the ones that can be made into step ladders or trestles. He also had a number of other good inventions. (I might add that his were much sturdier than the ones in the shops now.)
    He claimed that he invented them because he was lazy and wanted to do as little work as possible, as quickly as possible.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbelly View Post
    I have always subscribed to the philosophy of "work smarter, not harder" but that doesn't make me lazy.
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    I have always subscribed to the philosophy of "work smarter, not harder" but that doesn't make me lazy.
    I agree.

The older you get, the more likely you are to work smarter.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim