Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  33
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default MAKE THIS the new Australian Christmas tradition

As Christmas quickly approaches, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Australians with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods and merchandise, produced at the expense of Australian labour.

This year will be different. This year Australians will give the gift of genuine concern for other Australians. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift-giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by Australian hands. Yes there is! It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE -- gets their hair cut, so how about gift certificates from your local hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, Australian-owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the dollars on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half-dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember folks, this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Australians with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by an Australian worker?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mum? Mum would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, maybe you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewellery, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner-operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly folks, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you do have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, garbage man or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining Australian pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about us Aussies, encouraging Australian small businesses to keep plugging away, to follow their dreams. And when we care about other Australians, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

MAKE THIS the new Australian Christmas tradition.
    Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it on discussion groups -- throw up a post on Facebook, Twitter, etc. -- send it to the editor of your local paper, radio stations and TV news.

This is a revolution of caring about each other.
    After all......... Isn't that what Christmas is about?

And - have a blessed and very happy Christmas!!
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

15392922_1228677057175599_1695194073560401895_o.jpg
    This is something I use on social media and on my market stall to help encourage people to rethink the way they shop. I think we could all do better with our purchasing decisions. Thanks for posting Cliff.
    There ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk!!

Tom Waits

Great words Cliff.
    Although it is a bit late for us this Christmas, I will make an effort to apply these thoughts to birthdays as well as Christmas in the future.

Just posted it on our Facebook page
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Extremely well said Cliff, will do my utmost to comply. x10
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

I feel that some of the problem with this country is that manufacturing and the low, unskilled jobs that go with it are disappearing creating mass unemployment.
    By creating jobs, and keeping them in existence will benefit the economy. Even small things like having your car washed or laundry done will help.

Well said Cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post

Well said Cliff.
    Rather well altered from the American version that appeared about 5 years ago and resurrected time and again .

Coming from Perth I can say a LOT of people I know are pretty much doing secret Santa or nothing at all. Never seen so many friends and family out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Rather well altered from the American version that appeared about 5 years ago and resurrected time and again .
    The word "hometown" was a bit of a giveaway, it's not an expression used in Australia.
    Nevertheless, the sentiment and message hold true in Australia just as much as in America. We need to support our local business people. Even if it is only at Christmas and for a Birthday present, it would make a lot of difference for local businesses and traders.
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

It is at least 5 years old.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Maybe it just takes 5 years for the sentiment to sink in.
    Just got off the phone, talking to all of my kids.
    We have decided to keep all the money at home.
    Maybe treats and trinkets for eachother but big things?
    Not a chance for some Pacific Rim fat cat to add to his/her lifestyle.

Following the advice and the lists from our local food banks, we aim to make a difference this Christmas.
    It turns out to be toiletries, baby things, protein.
    I buy a lot of packets of herbs and spices so people can spice up otherwise simple/drab foods.

There was a time in my life when I realized that I really did have only $0.15 to my name.
    I sense that in this day and time, there's lots of people in that fix.

I'm retired. Not fabulously well off but comfortable.
    Pay back time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy John View Post
    The word "hometown" was a bit of a giveaway, it's not an expression used in Australia.
    Nevertheless, the sentiment and message hold true in Australia just as much as in America. We need to support our local business people. Even if it is only at Christmas and for a Birthday present, it would make a lot of difference for local businesses and traders.
    I've always said Deni is my hometown.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it on discussion groups -- throw up a post on Facebook, Twitter, etc. -- send it to the editor of your local paper, radio stations and TV news.
    It would look a bit silly if it said American instead of Australian.... maybe I should make a version the uses the word 'local' instead of a country name.

The idea is to try to get people to think about spending money in such a way that it stays in their local community instead of going to some multinational corporation.

Please look for the sentiment behind it.
    Cliff.

McBride is a small village. Many work-aways. If everybody home, maybe 550.
    I think it's important to shop local, for any and all of the economic reasons.
    I also believe that it's locally important to be "seen" to be shopping locally.
    It's hard to do sometimes, needing to order things that take a week or 2+ to get here.
    What's the rush?
    There are car-loads that drive to other places to shop, they have their knickers in a twist
    about some unforgivable social slights from 10 years ago that they can't get past.

I'm lucky, I have no history here, just the past 15 years, 10 years retired.
    Meat and vegetables? I like to feed the hand that feeds me and I certainly do eat well.