PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tongue Concerns

kalevala4
15th June 2009, 09:01 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows of any health issues with yellow tongue to be used under floorboards. My wife is very sensitive to even slight hints of chemicals. Is it toxic and is it safe to use ? I know it is very common but isn't that what they said about asbestos decades ago ? Thanks for any feedback. Rob

glen boulton
15th June 2009, 09:48 PM
hey Rob
some yellow tongue is sealed at the factory and some is not. if you are doing the work yourself then you may be able to use a sealer on it if you are worried about anything in particular.
if it being used as a sub floor than the worry is probably more so from the underside if you have a garage under. there are material safety data sheets( MSDS) available on all manufactured timber. this may have the answers you need.
as for generally.... the most of yellow tongues are safe once fitted and stable on the joists. unless your wife has a particular allergy with certain things it should be fine. the MSDS sheets will give you the material breakdown.

believe it or not, allot of problems that have turned up in the last 10 years have been from the cutting process not the material. the heating of the glue from the blade cutting gives off a toxic sometimes carcinogenic fume. most of these problems have been dealt with now days.

so to make it short look up the MSDS sheet that should have the answer you are after.

if you use it, you may want to seal it...bond crete will do fine for this. it will put a plastic type coating over it.

good luck...hope this helps