PDA

View Full Version : Handy lady!

Q36
10th June 2009, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

I am a confident DIY tile layer, brick layer and painter, it is in my blood but when it comes to woodwork I am clueless! Well you can’t be good at everything I suppose. :rolleyes:

I am hoping overtime through this forum and beginning with small projects I will develop my skills in woodwork too. :2tsup:

In the meantime I need to employ a professionals to do a job raising an alfresco concrete floor. I know better than to waste money doing a crappy or unsafe job myself. I would love your advice on how to know if I am getting ripped off or picking a good carpenter from the sea of suspect trades people. I am getting quotes and the range in price is just plain scary! :oo:Why?:?

What should it cost approx and how should the job be done? The area is 4.5x5.5meters in total and the step up to the doors is 15cm. We want to tile the middle of the floor on cement sheeting (3x5.5m of tiling)and the sides about 70cm wide each will have timber decking. We need to leave airflow for the holes in the brick walls either side.

So here is your opportunity to stick your two cents worth in…go for it!

Cheers
Me

munruben
10th June 2009, 03:13 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am not able to answer your question but I am sure someone will be able to offer some worthwhile advice. One of the mods might decide to move your thread to a more appropriate section of the forum so you will get some answers to your questions. I agree it is scary when getting quotes for work to be done. I can't explain the variation in pricing either. I just try to select the one that I think is giving me best value for my money and that is not always the cheapest quote as I have found out over the years. Good luck with your project.:2tsup:

Q36
10th June 2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you for your reply and tip munruben. They sure are a shy bunch around here!

Christos
11th June 2009, 11:57 PM
Yes we are shy bunch. :)

Welcome to the forum.