PDA

View Full Version : Tile Adhesive - Which one?

theborg1
10th June 2004, 08:09 PM
:confused: Hi,

Can anyone direct me, I am looking for a good (great) tile adhesive for tesselated tiles to be laid on the floor in the bathroom.

Thanks in advance.

Theborg1 :)

bitingmidge
10th June 2004, 08:27 PM
Someone else may give you a preferred brand. Make sure if you have a waterproofing membrane directly under the tiles, the adhesive system is compatable, and preferably from the same manufacturer.

If you don't have a waterproofing system. at least around the perimeter of the room...why not? :o

Cheers,

P

theborg1
10th June 2004, 11:47 PM
Hi P,

The tiles will be laid on a cement sheeting specifically designed to have ceramic tiles laid on it.

Hope this clarifies what I am referring to.

theborg

Theva
11th June 2004, 10:31 AM
theborg,

My new tiler uses Daveco's Ultraflex, it is good. Avoid any premixed glue for flooring, among other things, they lake too long to set.

Regards,

theva

seriph1
11th June 2004, 10:37 AM
get advice from the place you bought the tiles - from memory tesselated's require special attention - if they don't know, then contact Period Details in Hawthorn, or Regeneration (manufacturer) in North Melb - their number is: 9328 2777

theborg1
11th June 2004, 11:32 AM
Many thanks Theva for the tip.

I called the tile supplier and they were just short of useless in terms of which glue they would recommend but they did suggest a 2 part flexible glue after much prodding.

I have organised to buy the glue you have suggested.

Seriph1 - Many thanks for the advice. I actually called the company you suggested but they referred me back to the supplier of the tiles which is fair enough.

Thankyou both again.

theborg :D

seriph1
11th June 2004, 12:07 PM
what colour grout will you be using?

:D

theborg1
11th June 2004, 12:46 PM
Serph1

As I the tiles are ivory and black and ivory and red, thought I would go with an ivory colour.

It was suggested that I use a grey but am concerned that this will clash with the colours of the tiles.

theborg

seriph1
11th June 2004, 03:49 PM
I believe the advice is sound - black would clash too much with the other colours, white too bright - and would probably end up grey anyway - grey seems a fair compromise

.... but - if I couldnt see an example that exactly combines the colours, or displays a successful alternative, I would be doing a test piece before going ahead, after all you have to live with, and enjoy it everyday. - just as an aside..... are these definitely tesselated or are the ceramic tiles in the same style?