PDA

View Full Version : G'day

Shakey
3rd January 2009, 11:58 PM
G'day everyone, just discovered this great forum while looking around at different Aussie wood. Actually I was comparing the wood I've got with what other blokes have that is similar and was looking at ring gidgee, mulga and purple gidgee and stumbled across the thread on purple gidgee so, here I am.

All the best for now, cheers,

Shakey

masoth
4th January 2009, 12:08 AM
Welcome, Shakey and you're right this is a great BB. Let us know what you do and be prepared for the constant encouragement to post pictures of your work. There is very little woodwork related iinformation not available from the thousands of members from all round the world.

soth

Ed Reiss
4th January 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Shakey...welcome to the best forum around!:2tsup:

....and don't forget about coolibah, and flame she oak, and buggeroo, and ...................:U

Shakey
4th January 2009, 01:44 PM
G'day Soth and Ed, thanks for the welcome. What a place for info...unbelievable! Mind you I'm not a wood turner I customize knives using mostly local timber (the ones I have mentioned and quite a few others) that is Longreach, Queensland local.

I do have a small wood lathe that a friend gave me but havn't played with it too much yet as I do most of my shaping on the grinders and cut out on the band saw. I quite enjoy cutting the boards and polishing them. Some magnificient stuff growing out here.

Cheers for now,

Shakey

munruben
5th January 2009, 09:29 AM
Welcome Shakey, great to see you have joined the madhouse. :)

Ed Reiss
5th January 2009, 01:27 PM
G'day Soth and Ed, thanks for the welcome. What a place for info...unbelievable! Mind you I'm not a wood turner I customize knives using mostly local timber (the ones I have mentioned and quite a few others) that is Longreach, Queensland local.

I do have a small wood lathe that a friend gave me but havn't played with it too much yet as I do most of my shaping on the grinders and cut out on the band saw. I quite enjoy cutting the boards and polishing them. Some magnificient stuff growing out here.

Cheers for now,

Shakey

Gotta' watch it Shakey....spending time on the lathe can only mean one thing - your slowly coming over to the dark side!!:o

artme
5th January 2009, 05:35 PM
G'day Shakey and welcome to the nuthouse!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Must get out to longreach one day.

Ithink you need an addiction, you have the lathe so get to it!:D:D:p:p

Rum Pig
6th January 2009, 09:22 AM
G'Day Shakey

You mentioned Mulga timber Very nice wood:)
I can not get enough of it, so I might have to have a holiday in Longreach me my Ute and an empty trailer:D
Welcome