PDA

View Full Version : Use of rottenstone powder

AVermeylen
29th April 2004, 10:52 AM
Hello y'all,

Name is Allan, first post here in finishing, and just joined the Triton forum. Strange bunch of fellows over there, I tell ya.

Anyway, I got a few ounces of rottenstone powder from a Liberon dealer who was going out of business, a few months ago. I had an interest in it because I read about it in FWW.

I'm wondering if someone can advise me on the use of this stuff. And by that, I'm asking for everything someone could easily tell me.

What kind of surface it works on (ie, shellac, lacquer, varnish, bare wood, etc)?
How to work with it, in what quantities, with what medium, what am I looking for?
Is it worth working with, will it take lots of time to work with, where can I get more if all the answers are positive.

All answers greatly appreciated.
PS Where can I get 1200 wet/dry paper ?

DPB
29th April 2004, 11:36 AM
One of the great values in these forums is the "stored Knowledge" available in the archives. I always do a search first on any subject about which I have questions. Invariably, this results in a wealth of information that enlightens me on the subject.

I just did a search on "rottenstone" and got seven responses.

I learned that rottenstone was similar to Tripoli powder. If you do a search on "Tripoli powder" you will get nine results. Here I learned that Tripoli is branded EEE by Ubeaut, and doing a search on "EEE" resulted in 87 hits ...and so it goes.

Those of us who have been visiting this terrific site for some time will know that this BB is owned and sponsored by Neil Ellis, author of the woodworker's finishing bible, A POLISHERS HANDBOOK. It is an authoritative source of information and will answer any questions you have on finishing and many more you haven't thought of yet.

You can get it from better woodworking suppliers, or directly from god himself by ordering from the Ubeaut site http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm:):)

Chesand
29th April 2004, 01:14 PM
If you cannot find 1200 wet & dry at your hardware store you will certainly find it in any Auto supplies store eg. Supa-Cheap

ubeaut
30th April 2004, 12:27 AM
If it is the black rottenstone be a little wary of what you use it on as it can dramatically change the colour of some work by getting into the pores of the timber even when used over a coat of polish.

It can in some instances make work look dirty and cheapen it, especially on some white woods.

It should be able to be used over most finishes with the exception of the harder 2 pack products. Can be applied dry, or mixed into a paste or slurry with water, oil or wax.

Get yourself a copy of "A Polishers Handbook" (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/book.html) and all these questions should be answered for you.

Cheers - Neil :D