PDA

View Full Version : Prototyper & furniture maniac

erikus
26th November 2008, 03:21 PM
G'Day everyone....

I'm Erik and I love furniture..there I've said it.
I'm 36, a pom and live in Sydney but will be moving to Lennox Head next year some time.

I'm looking for work in either locality at the moment.
I've just finished up a long term job as a project manager and am determined to follow my passion evetually designing and making my own contemporary furniture.

I'm currently looking to gain some further experience in the furniture design and construction industry. Having spent a good few years as a prototyper of anything from plastic bottles to washing machines I have a good understanding of materials and tools but want to learn more about traditional joinery skills and especially contemporary furniture.
I do have a passion for design in general 2D and 3D but furniture really rocks my world. My dad was a clinker boat builder so wood shavings have an evocative smell for me!

Does anyone have any suggestions or contacts I could follow up in Sydney or the Byron region who might be able to help me get closer to my goal.
Or are you a designer maker looking for someone to help you in the run up to Christmas and beyond and are tired of finding people with no passion?

If so please drop me a line at [email protected]

Also I have 2 Fler armchairs that need restoration ( the winged variety see small jpeg for chair type and style I'm going for) they are beauts but need refinishing, a little joint work and reupholstering. The springs are all good. Where can I go to get good advice on getting it right first time?

This forum is the best so help me out community! :2tsup:
All the very best
Erik

The Bleeder
26th November 2008, 03:32 PM
Erik,

Welcome to the worlds best forum.

Sorry can't help on most things you've asked. Have you got a surfboard..because LH has some great waves (misspent youth).

Steve

erikus
26th November 2008, 03:43 PM
I do Steve and I intend to make good use of it since even though I've lived in Australia for 7 years I am still more of a floater than a surfer!

I keep my fingers crossed for some leads...I am ready to get going.

regards Erik

artme
26th November 2008, 10:38 PM
G´day erikus and welcome.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have a squiz through the threads in the woodworking (general section). There is alot of good advice there. Perhaps Ciff Rogers can give you some really good leads on where to start as he is our resident walking fileing system.

Ed Reiss
26th November 2008, 11:54 PM
Welcome Erik!

You should be able to find what you need from the folks here.

Question to you...what is a POM?

masoth
27th November 2008, 12:11 AM
Ed, you may recieve a few replies to your question, but, generally, in Australia POM is a sort of endering name for persons from the UK (mostly England) and can be variously referred to a "a Pom"; "a pommy"; "a bloody pom"; "a pommy bastard", and other terms depending on how well one is known or liked.:oo:
No other people use 'bastard' in quite the same way as Australians either.

soth

ps: A bit like the term 'Limey'.

joe greiner
27th November 2008, 12:39 AM
Ed, the Orztrylyuns are renowned for their butchery of the Mother tongue, even worse than Yanks. Here's the genuine derivation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British#Pommy

BTW, Yanks -> Septic Tanks (rhyme) -> Seppos.

Joe