PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up

Geoff HQ
10th November 2008, 09:00 PM
Hi All

This is a first for me as have never joined a forum/chat line before.
I have just bought a Mk 3 Triton. It is in virtually as new condition and I am in the process of setting it up. Previously I was using a Ryobi bench saw and was getting frustrated with the fence on it (always moving - no matter what I tried).

Budget is a problem when looking at a saw to put in it, and checking it out, it appears that the cheaper saws have pressed steel bases that may not be easy to seat properly in the Triton. The Triton 91/4" is about $300 which is out of the pre-Xmas budget................was wondering which saws of the cheaper variety would be effective.
I am a weekend workshop guy so will not be doing anything too serious.
I would appreciate some guidance as to which is best

Thanks All

Ed Reiss
11th November 2008, 03:09 AM
Geoff...as you can tell by my location, I don't live in Australia and am not familiar with the majority of woodworking tools available in Oz, but there are many on the forums that can surely help with your question.

Welcome to the forums!!:2tsup:

munruben
12th November 2008, 07:39 AM
Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum. The Triton is a great machine for woodworking. I had a Mk3 and only recently bought a new TS. I still have the Triton set up and the saw that is in it at the moment is a GMC 10" (shhhh don't tell anyone) and contrary to what some might think of GMC tools, the saw has served me well and I have completed stacks of projects on the Triton set up with this saw. If you are only doing occasional work and don't want to overspend the budget, might be worth looking at some of the cheaper brands in Bunnings like Ozito. They are cheap and at least come with a good warranty.

blocka
14th November 2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Geoff HQ,
Triton make great gear Mate IMO, especially for the home workshop. I bought a Triton Series 2000 and mounted a Makita 185mm to it and okay I don't have the depth of cut that I would like but it's doing okay at the moment. Just take your time to set up the selected saw and get it squared up to the fence. Oh and invest in a decent blade.
Good luck mate and welcome.
Blocka