PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the pointy bit !

epineh
9th November 2008, 10:51 AM
Hi my name is Russell, I noticed a few links to this forum from CNCZone so I thought I would sign up and see what the fuss is about :)

I live in a small town south of Cairns (Babinda) and have built a CNC router table, and started about three more CNC based machines which will hopefully see the light of day eventually...

I hope to get a little more serious as far as actually using my router, and woodwork in general. I thought with Christmas coming up it would be a good time.

Cheers.

Russell.

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2008, 12:49 PM
G'day Russell, I live the other side of the mountain from you.

Ed Reiss
9th November 2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Russel!

Just 'cause Cliff lives on the other side of the mountain from you, don't let that scare you off the forum!:U

epineh
9th November 2008, 09:30 PM
G'day Russell, I live the other side of the mountain from you.

Hey Cliff, nice to hear from you, I was hoping to hear from a few locals (close enough :roll: ) While this year is almost over I hope to get stuck into some woodwork, I have lots to learn but am stubborn enough to try :D

Hi Russel!

Just 'cause Cliff lives on the other side of the mountain from you, don't let that scare you off the forum!:U

Lol, hi Ed, nah I don't scare that easily :)

Cheers.

Russell.

journeyman Mick
9th November 2008, 10:36 PM
G'day Russel, I live a bit up the road and across the mountain from you.:D welcome!

Mick

epineh
10th November 2008, 11:46 PM
How's it going Mick...I guess since I have done the intro's I better show what I have been up to...this vid was made for my router build log on CNCZone but you get the idea :)

Hmmm, seems like youtube is out of commision at the moment, I will link it tommorrow if it is back up and running...

Cheers.

Russell.

epineh
12th November 2008, 07:48 PM
Ok Youtube is back on the air, here is the video of my router...it is mostly finished, waiting on a new servo for the X axis to speed things up a little, the current one is a bit small and gets quite hot when pushed. Also need to build a shed to house the beast, working in the carport is no fun at all.

YouTube - My Steel Frame Router

Cheers.

Russell.

rat52
12th November 2008, 08:17 PM
That was great:2tsup:

To have built the machine and program to do that must be a great sense of achievement:U

Ed Reiss
13th November 2008, 12:48 AM
:whs::welldone: ......man, you've got some skills!!!

epineh
13th November 2008, 09:35 PM
Cheers guys, I have to get stuck in and actually start using it a bit more, I have to build the shed first then its play time :)

journeyman Mick
13th November 2008, 09:42 PM
Very impressive!:2tsup:
Just wondering if you had an end use in mind when you started building it, like having a wooden sign writing business, or was it just about building it? Do you have to program it all in code or is there a user friendly interface? I wouldn't mind having a CNC router, but I think that if I ever get one it will be a "turn key" package, I've got more than enough half started projects to last me a few decades.:rolleyes:

Mick

epineh
13th November 2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Mick, yes I did have a reason for building it, that was to make timber fishing lures.

2 years later I still have not made a single lure but I have learned a lot and am planning to make a machine or two that will make this one look like a toy.

In the meantime I want to play around making small signs for fun and maybe for markets, the machine cutting size is about 600 by 600. I would like to make a larger machine that is about 4 metres by 1.5 metres job size for things like custom doors, sign's etc.

I wouldn't say the interface is all friendly but it is becoming very standardised, there are a couple of great software packages available that make things a lot easier. I struggled a little after the machine was built as I put so much energy into getting it going then I had to start over and learn how to use it. But the results are so much better than I expected, and I get a silly smile every time it runs a job :)

Know what you mean about unfinished projects, now the router is finished I am down to only about 500 left to go, I better go and start a few more...lol

Cheers.

Russell.