PDA

View Full Version : G'day everyone

Kenm
26th October 2008, 06:29 PM
I am new to this forum so obviously finding out what is it all about. What is clear is there is a wealth of information available just for the asking. So here goes..

My main woodturning activity is woodturning. I am particularly keen to find a good, honest and serviceable finish. I have found a number of good finishes including wax bases, tung oil based (Organoil is a good one) and so on. I am still learning which are the better finishes for different types of wood.

Some time ago I was given a 4 litre can of Mirrotone. I do not know how old it is but the label was faded when I received it so I have a few questions:

What is Mirrotone?
What is its shelf-life?
How is it applied?
Is it food-safe?
Looking forward to reading any responses.

Cheers

Ken M

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2008, 09:11 PM
G'day and welcome to our asylum. :)

Mirotone make quite a range of products... which makes answering your questions difficult.

Perhaps you'll find answers on their website: http://www.mirotone.com/ ? (I had a quick look but it's 'orrible coding and doesn't like Firefox apparently. :rolleyes:)

Personally, for a tung oil based finish I prefer... 100% Tung Oil! :D But that's becoming a hen's tooth nowadays, so my number one alternative is Rustin's Danish Oil. I think many turner's will agree.

I'm not a fan of Organoil as it looks good when it works, but it can go oh so horribly wrong. Recovering a bad finish of it is also a nightmare.

But you're dead right in saying that there's a wide range of finishes out there and ech has it's place. I've simply found the ones that work best for me and am now working on mastering 'em. Which will still be a life's work!

tea lady
26th October 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Kenm.:2tsup:

fenderbelly
27th October 2008, 12:01 AM
TL you have such a way with words.:rolleyes:

Welcome aboard Kenm i,m sure you will enjoy this forum.

Cheers Fred

Ed Reiss
27th October 2008, 06:16 AM
Hi Ken...and welcome!!

Skew...when did you move from your "cardboard box":?....any trouble getting a mortgage for the dog box? When's the box-warming party?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th October 2008, 10:45 PM
Skew...when did you move from your "cardboard box":?....any trouble getting a mortgage for the dog box? When's the box-warming party?

I'm waiting 'til I find a tin-can to convert into a shed. :p