PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Melbourne's South East

Robbo_444
25th October 2008, 09:07 AM
G'day Everyone,

After reading a lot of posts on these forums, I've finally got the guts up to post something myself.

I'm 31 years old, living in Melbourne and finally enjoying the space of my own shed to do a bit of woodwork (and other DIY projects). I also enjoy helping my mates renovate their houses (I work for a feed and a couple of beers!).

After a year living in Japan with my then Girlfriend (now wife), I gained an interest in Japanese design and joinery. My first (Adult) woodwork project was a Folding Japanese Shoji Screen that I made on the loungeroom floor in our tiny apartment. I have plans for many more Japanese projects in due course.

My favourite power tool is the router, of which I own two, and with the help of some of threads here on router tables I've recently completed a table built to fit my new 2100W Ryobi.

I'm into recycling materials wherever possible, especially timber, and would love some advice on where to go here in Melbourne since my local place in Mordialloc has recently shut down! :~

Oh, and by the way - I'm about to give up my well paid but ridiculously stressfull job to chase my dream of a Joinery Apprenticeship! Too much of my Grandfather in me!!!!

Looking forward to learning from all you wise members and maybe one day I'll know enough to help someone myself.

Cheers

Ed Reiss
25th October 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi ...and welcome!

As others on these forums will tell you, we like to see pictures of projects...so, when your ready to do so, please do.:U

robbo_57
25th October 2008, 12:00 PM
Welcome ,

There's lots to learn here and a lot of fun to be had too.

That's a very nice name too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2008, 12:29 PM
Hey, ! GET OFF THE PHOTOCOPIER!

Once is funny... but 444 copies? :no:

Welcome to the asylum, #444. :D

hammonr65
26th October 2008, 02:51 AM
Welcome ,
"Retiring to woodworking", sounds like heaven. Wish I would have done that 45 years ago after that South East Asia thing, I'd probably be a lot happier and I know much more relaxed. Japanese wood working and especially joinery has always fascinated me.
Ray

Stuart
26th October 2008, 03:09 AM
Hey, ! GET OFF THE PHOTOCOPIER!

Once is funny... but 444 copies? :no:

Welcome to the asylum, #444. :D
It's sure goin' to get confusing! Wonder who will be #500? My guess is someone called ;) :D

Ad de Crom
26th October 2008, 04:08 AM
, welcome, have fun here, and like Ed said, oh yeah, we all love pictures.
Ad

billym
26th October 2008, 08:08 AM
Welcome robo, cant help with timber suppliers,live to far away.Like everyone else like to see some pics billym:)

STAR
26th October 2008, 04:24 PM
Welcome Robo.

My daughter has spent five years in Japan. She speaks the language fluently and now works as a Flight Attendant at Qantas International.
While she and her husband, also a Qantas Manager earn international wages I had to pay for her education and support while in Japan.

One only hopes when and if they have kids they put themselves out as much as we have done.

ps. I hope she does not see this.

Robbo_444
28th October 2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Pics of projects will come soon; Starting with the screen I guess!

For the record, the 444 is thanks to Hotmail! It's just kind of stuck with me ever since!!

munruben
28th October 2008, 08:00 AM
Another , wow but welcome to the forum.:2tsup: