PDA

View Full Version : G'day from the new boy.

Willbill
13th October 2008, 11:51 PM
Hello everybody I'm another newby. I'll tell u a little about myself. I'm a floor sander also lay cork and parquetry but I still like working with wood in my spare time usually nothing to serious jewellery boxes flute case. I've enjoyed restoring old furniture at times but my latest project beats them all. I'm making a violin getting a lot of information from the Internet and books from the library. But I’ve hit a snag and that’s one of the reasons I’m here.
Does anyone know where I can purchase violin varnish in Australia? I did get some from a German company ‘Hammerl’ through a local music shop but this cost me $37 for just 100mil. When I ordered it I didn’t realise it was for such a small quantity. I think this is well over priced and I’m not sure there is enough for the job.
Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Ad de Crom
14th October 2008, 01:17 AM
Hi WillBill, very welcome.
Laying parquet floors, means that there are a lot of leftover pieces of parquet after a job. Do you know that this is perfect stuff for segmented work.
Have fun.
Ad :)

Willbill
14th October 2008, 01:51 AM
G'day Ad de Crom. Thanks for the coment but what do you mean by segmented work?

Ad de Crom
14th October 2008, 02:14 AM
G'day Ad de Crom. Thanks for the coment but what do you mean by segmented work?

Anykind of segmented work, as well as for flatwork and turnings.
Ad

Claw Hama
14th October 2008, 04:59 AM
Hi WB, you will have fun with the musos on the forum they will be able to help you with your varnish etc, they have some realy interesting discussions on there sometimes.
Have fun and enjoy the crazy community here.

Ed Reiss
14th October 2008, 07:36 AM
Hi WB!

Try doing a SEARCH in the forums for "varnish" or some other keywords like "violin finish", etc.

munruben
14th October 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi WB there are quite a few guys here who make musical instruments and I am sure one of them will come up with a solution. Welcome to the forum.