PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting powder-coated window frames

Driver
6th March 2004, 11:34 AM
G'day

I'm looking for some of your expert advice, fellas.

The family residence (ie, the place where my wife and I live and two of our descendants occasionally sleep whilst clogging up the driveway with their cars) has powder-coated aluminium window frames. The house is 16 years old and the windows that have significant exposure to the sun have faded a fair bit over time.

I'm considering re-painting. This is not a job to be considered lightly because we have quite a large number of windows.

What's the best approach? How do I provide an initial key on the powder coating, what kind of primer and what's the best paint to use? I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Regards

Col

Marc
6th March 2004, 04:51 PM
Oil based edging primer. Apply with a brush, uses lacker thinner as solvent. Over such primer, apply good quality exterior grade oil based paint.

RETIRED
6th March 2004, 09:05 PM
Gooday.

Etching or edging?

Marc
7th March 2004, 01:27 PM
Mm itching stitching, the paint shop attendant will know what he needs ... do you think he will need to sand the windows first? :-))

rodm
7th March 2004, 01:57 PM
Col,
If the surface is only faded and there is no corrosion try a light cutting compound. Make sure the polish doesn't contain silicone otherwise you will have a problem if you decide to paint.

Driver
7th March 2004, 11:38 PM
Rod

That's a good suggestion. There is no corrosion - we're far enough away from the ocean for that not to be a factor. I'll give the cutting compound a try.

Now - how do I convince my life's partner that she doesn't really want to change the colour of all those window frames?

Regards

Col

journeyman Mick
8th March 2004, 12:27 AM
Col, hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but with powdercoated shopfront type doors that were being fitted to a boat I've had to have them sandblasted to enable paint to key properly. (The boat was white, with a black band around the windows, so I thought to save time I'd order white powdercoat and simply black out the area around the window to match) Admittedly this was going into an extrreme environment for paints and we were using a paint system that's probably different to what you will use (two pak polyurethane modified enamel over 2 pak epoxy), but I would do a bit of research if I were in your shoes. Our initial attempt was to sand thoroughly with an air ROS till the powdercoat was well and truly dulled, clean with prepsol and spray paint system on. The result could be peeled off in sheets once you got you fingernail under it. Talk to a paint company tech department and a powdercoating company before commiting all your time and energy.

Mick

Driver
8th March 2004, 11:20 AM
Mick

Thanks for the warning.

Initially at least I'm going to give Rod's suggestion a go. If I can restore the colour by using a cutting compound then that may be enough to convince the boss that we don't really need to change the colour scheme. (Jeez, I hope so!).

In any case, I think I'll have a yarn to a paint company before I do anything else.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

Regards

Col

soundman
8th March 2004, 11:24 PM
you need to be aware that powder coat is polyester. It is very hard to get anything to stick to it properly.

I regularly use powder coating & have been advised the best solution if you must is to strip & re powdercoat. The powdercoaters know the drill. Just had my mums hand rails re done after 15 years in the eliments.

I'd go with the cutting compound.

or get new windows fitted.

Sprog
9th March 2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Driver
G'day

I'm looking for some of your expert advice, fellas.

I'm considering re-painting. This is not a job to be considered lightly because we have quite a large number of windows.

What's the best approach? How do I provide an initial key on the powder coating, what kind of primer and what's the best paint to use? I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Regards

Col

Check out ESP - Easy Surface Prep.

From the web site:-
ESP Easy Surface Prep cleans the old surface and leaves a permanent bonding film to which paint will adhere firmly - all in one application. Wipe it on. Wipe it off. Paint after 90 minutes. The paint will stick everytime. Guaranteed!

ESP (http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/esp.htm)