PDA

View Full Version : Turned Finishes

Woodchuck
6th March 2004, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

Well after playing about & getting to know my new toys & how they all work I just finished making my first project. Turning a bowl is really quite fun. Anyways what I wanted to ask is what alot of you like to use as a finish for turned things like Bowls, gobletts, platters & simular type things.

Seems so many finishes to chose from that I'm a little lost. Only thing I have tried is OrganOil on this first project. Can you use a wax over OrganOil btw ? I don't like the sound of a super high gloss as I think things no longer look like wood but start looking like plastic then, but I don't like things too dull either..lol

So just wondering what others use/like & the kind of finish it gives as to get an idea without just going out & buying all the finishes about.

Thanks

Woodchuck

Sir Stinkalot
6th March 2004, 05:10 PM
I think that the overwelming response to this question is check the products made by the provider of this forum and possibly the book written by Ubeaut also.U-Beaut (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm)

Dean
6th March 2004, 08:57 PM
See above,

I'm sold on U'Beaut's Shellawax for the smaller diameter turnings and spindle finishing etc :)