PDA

View Full Version : when were concrete stumps first used?

tbone
13th May 2008, 01:08 PM
I have just recently bought an old weatherboard house in Melbourne, built around 1910 I'm told, and was surprised (and relieved) to find it was on concrete stumps. As it appears that pretty much no work has been done to the place in the last 60 years, and that the floor boards look to me to be original, I very much doubt that any restumping has ever been done. (I should add that there is only 150mm clearance under the floor, so removal of floorboards would be the only way to restump) Yet due to the age of the property, I thought it would have pre-dated concrete stumps, and that there would be timber ones instead.

Can anyone satisfy my curiosity and tell me when concrete stumps were first used? Cheers...

Ashwood
13th May 2008, 03:10 PM
Are the stumps perfectly regular like modern day ones from Cope Industries, or do they look like olden day works? Any photos?

tbone
13th May 2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for your reply! From memory they look pretty similiar to the modern day ones, but I'll have a closer inspection tonight to be sure. Will get back to you then.

TermiMonster
13th May 2008, 05:38 PM
My house (not far from you, Braybrook) is on it's original 1950's concrete stumps. Not quite 1910 though.
TM

tbone
15th May 2008, 08:51 PM
They do look fairly square, but do not have the Cope stamp at the top of the stump that I notice my neighbours has. Unfortuantly my camera has gone walkabout at the moment, so I cant provide any photos.

Claw Hama
15th May 2008, 09:15 PM
My parents place in Newcastle was built about 1920 and has original concrete stumps
and my own house now the X's was 1926 with concrete stumps. The old concrete and cinder ash type. Hardy but tend to weather a bit on the outside of the house.