PDA

View Full Version : DPC and Ant Capping in Brick Base Walls

zacnelson
8th May 2008, 03:54 PM
Hi there, the plans for my extension specify double brick base walls around the perimeter, and another similar base wall running through the middle, with long-span floor joists, but no bearers. Therefore there are no stumps at all. The house is brick veneer.

The plans don't specify any dpc or ant capping, however is this because it is standard and always essential? Obviously I want to do both, but I was surprised to not see either outlined on the plans. Also, I can't find anywhere that sells the long ant capping that would go on a base wall. All I can find are the normal square ant caps that go on top of stumps. If anybody knows where to find this in Melbourne, please let me know.

Cheers,

Zac

SilentButDeadly
9th May 2008, 04:17 PM
All you need to use is plain old steel flashing........you can get it folded into an L shape and cut to length by your local roofing supplier like Steeline.....doesn't cost much

bugsy
9th May 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi there, the plans for my extension specify double brick base walls around the perimeter, and another similar base wall running through the middle, with long-span floor joists, but no bearers. Therefore there are no stumps at all. The house is brick veneer.

The plans don't specify any dpc or ant capping, however is this because it is standard and always essential? Obviously I want to do both, but I was surprised to not see either outlined on the plans. Also, I can't find anywhere that sells the long ant capping that would go on a base wall. All I can find are the normal square ant caps that go on top of stumps. If anybody knows where to find this in Melbourne, please let me know.

Cheers,

Zac

Im surprised ant capping isnt on your plans.
I am unsure on building codes but this is essential.
try bluescope steel

Brickie
9th May 2008, 07:00 PM

Cheers,

Zac
Who ever drew the plans assumes you know what you were doing and so nothing like that is specified on plans.

Im surprised ant capping isnt on your plans.

Never seen it on plans, ever, I have seen ant guard specified in ant prone areas, most of Melbourne is ant free, the places that do have ants have nowhere near the problem that they get further north.

sports fan
10th May 2008, 10:52 AM
you need continuous antcapping for your basewalls comes in 2.4m lengths you also need termite proof silicon to seal the joins the company who makes it is called alterm.. any builders supplier in melbourne should stock these items

in addition you will also need to install dpc, both antcapping and dpc are industry standard and it would be shonky to even suggest forgoing installing them

Brickie
10th May 2008, 10:57 AM
you need continuous antcapping

Not in Vic you dont, unless advised to by the local council that the area is ant prone.