PDA

View Full Version : Is there anywhere in Adelaide to get a combustion heater fixed?

bellagirl67
5th May 2008, 05:40 PM
Is there anywhere in Adelaide that I can get my combustion heater fixed? The fire box( I assume thats what its called) has rusted through and the smoke is blown into the room when the fan is on. On opening the door you can see a hole on the roof of the heater. I have searched the net and found no place to get it fixed. Please help we are getting to the cold weather now and we miss the heater!!

Hafgan
5th May 2008, 05:58 PM
My better half works at a certain BBQ chain with Galore in it (a little far away from where you are...!) and they have on hand / can order in replacement baffles if that is what has burnt through. The baffle sits on top of the firebox to (a) reinforce the top and (b) increase the surface area of metal to be heated and then have air blown over by the fan. You would need to know the make and model of your wood heater.

If it is the actual firebox, my understanding is that it is not possible to repair / is cheaper to get a new heater.

Cheers

Hafgan

Tankstand
5th May 2008, 06:01 PM
Unless you know someone handy, you may need to approach your local welder / boilermaker. If it is only a small patch up job it may be able to to be fixed it insitu.

Hope this helps.

Stringy
5th May 2008, 06:58 PM
fixed my FIL's many years ago, had to gouge the top plate out and install a new one, mongrel job. If you have to pay someone to do this, I'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy a new one!

I am a boilermaker/welder by trade, so had all the gear at hand.

bellagirl67
6th May 2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info people. Much appreciated!:2tsup:

dadof4
6th May 2008, 11:11 PM
try lobethal sheet metal. find number in phone book

GraemeCook
7th May 2008, 11:33 AM
I got an extra few months out of a Kent heater by patching a hole in the roof with car muffler putty.

There are plenty of second hand heaters available currently and when we found a really good one we bought it for $100.

When we got the old one out and were able to inspect the firebox easily we found that it was very thin all over. The sliding baffle was also badly corroded. Certainly not worth fixing.

Cheers

Graeme

China
7th May 2008, 10:02 PM
What dadof4 said, was trying to think of the name but could not remember