PDA

View Full Version : Bricklaying tips.

TradingWoody
24th April 2008, 03:38 PM
Hi all
can anyone give me some tips. Im extending a single interior brick wall and am using clay solids. However the solids are absorbing the water out of the mortar really fast. I have just been dipping the brick in water and then using it?? Is this ok. Should I leave it in the water for longer?? Its making the morter unmanagable when lining up the bricks to the stringline.
Thanks
TW

Planned LScape
25th April 2008, 01:06 AM
A few brickies here will give you some tips

Are you using lime in your mix making it last longer and more manageable? Give the mortar a bit of a working over every once in a while to keep it sort of "fluffy"?

Blocklayer
25th April 2008, 09:29 AM
Try Als site http://www.brickwork.net.au/

Will73
6th May 2008, 08:04 PM
Hey there,

Yeah wetting the bricks is right. Dont over wet them as they will move around once you lay them. Clay bricks can absorb more than their own weight of water. Make your mix as per usual and dont forget to add a bit of bycol.

Hope that helps

autogenous
6th May 2008, 08:43 PM
Are you using lime in your mix making it last longer and more manageable? Give the mortar a bit of a working over every once in a while to keep it sort of "fluffy"?

It does sound like you mud could be a bit hungry.

Are you mixing it at 6 sand 1 cement 1 lime?

Solids are a little harder to lay.

If they are dry as hell give them a little hose but only so they are damp almost dry.

To wet and they may float. :doh:

autogenous
6th May 2008, 08:45 PM
What suburb are you in?:)