PDA

View Full Version : Removing old putty from windows

FrankS
21st April 2008, 07:14 PM
HELP! HELP!
How in tarnation can one remove old hard putty to replace broken window glass other than tedious chisel 'n chip? Thus far its' taken me about 2 hrs to chip out an area about 30cm x 45cm and I've got 4 panes to do. Hope there's an easier way.

Cheers
FrankS

Incoming!
21st April 2008, 07:27 PM
Having the same problem myself. This thread may help.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=47820

Bad Woodworker
21st April 2008, 09:50 PM
grinder

FrankS
21st April 2008, 10:30 PM
grinder

I think the grinder may be a bit harsh. I'm trying to preserve the old timber frames. I'm replacing broken glass in the frames so I think the old putty should be completely removed so the glass seats properly. I'll give the paint stripper a try and hope it softens the putty. These windows are about 60 years old and delicate.

Thanks Guys
FrankS

FrankS
5th May 2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks to Bad Woodworker...the grinder did the job: I didn't think it would, but it did.
Now, having done all that and re-puttied all the panes with linseed based putty, how long does it generally take for this putty to set hard enough so that fingerprints don't show ?

Bad Woodworker
5th May 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks to Bad Woodworker...the grinder did the job: I didn't think it would, but it did.
Now, having done all that and re-puttied all the panes with linseed based putty, how long does it generally take for this putty to set hard enough so that fingerprints don't show ?
It depends on the weather, give it 24 hours. Glad the grinder worked,its a lot faster and actually a lot neater with a steady hand.
You need to go over it with a putty knife or something smooth( a piece of plastic) to give it a smooth surface. You better get on to it or those finger prints are staying!
Do it before it sets.
BW.