PDA

View Full Version : HELP- what did I do to my deck!

PRKLCD
26th March 2008, 06:51 PM
Ok guys - I am a little worried.

I have been laying my mebaru decking boards over the last few weekends. The first set I did was about 14 or so. After I laid them we got rain and I noticed the boards went a lot draker.... The second set I laid over the weekend and that afternoon we also got some rain - but since half of the this set was under cover and it was only light rain I notice the coulor was coming out very uneven - so I got out there with a hose and "washed them down" :oo:

Now the first set is really dark and the second set really light!!! :o

Will all this be fixed when I use SPA N DECK?

Can't believe what I did!

Blu_Rock
26th March 2008, 09:47 PM
Don't panic, everything is normal.
Read this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=49270), especially Jim J's comments.

In the next week or so, the second set will darken up as the tannins bleed out of the merbau.
A light wetting down will help draw out the tannins, a good thing.
Even if, after the preparation treatment (as per Jim's comments), the boards are different shades, the Spa n Deck will tend to even up the colour differences.

Tubby2
27th March 2008, 05:38 PM
Its all good mate. Dont worry.
Its best to leave the deck weather for a few months before you seal/stain it.

TommyC
28th March 2008, 09:10 AM
I did a merbau deck last summer and left it for 2 months before Spa'n'deck was applied, came up a treat. Make sure you get the preparation solution when you get your paint, as this seems to be vital in a successful 1st coat.

I did some steps after the deck (diff area) and left these all winter and summer, just finished them after Christmas. They had faded badly, but after a sand and careful application of SnD, they are beautiful. My advice for the SnD would be to use a roller and paint brush to apply it. I tried one of those Wagner deck finish mops with the on-board cannister, and it was not nearly as even a finish as brush and roller.

UteMad
28th March 2008, 07:46 PM
As said the boards darken up as the tannins come out and also from being exposed .. They go down light and can darken over night sometimes.. Once your finished clean the whole deck down to remove as much tanin as possible and then make the decission to either coat straight away or wait a few months... We go with coats asap (once deck is dry for oils) as we feel this gives the best overall result with merbau boards especiaaly

Don't be surprised if the deck goes red when the cleaner is working as its justs the tanins lifting off the board.. It will depend how much rain you get before you clean the boards as to how much of a colour change you'll see

cheers utemad