PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question - what should i use to get a good seal?

alpsy
26th March 2008, 06:27 PM
hi all,

i need help

i have done a water feature that requires so underwater plumbing to achieve the desired effect.

i have used 3 * 900mm threaded pipes with threaded T pipes between them. i need to get a good seal but if i tighten them to to max the T pipes do not face the same direction (very important). the whole thing is underwater and basically i have a pump pushing water through the length and spouting water up at the various junctions. is there something i can use (eg a waterproof equivalent to lock-tite perhaps) that will give me a good tight seal?

thanks in advance.

julie

Tools
26th March 2008, 07:22 PM
Teflon tape is your friend.

Tools

h4lcy0n
26th March 2008, 11:20 PM
I asked the same question yesterday, but for smaller pipes.

Check out this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=69324).

Worked really well for me, there is liquid piper sealer compound also but I've never used it so can't comment.

alpsy
26th March 2008, 11:41 PM
thanks h4lcy0n and tools,

cant believe we had the same problem days apart.

did think of teflon tape but wasn't sure how it would work under water. also, wondered if i needed to put some silicon on exposed ends.

will get the tape and get to work.

cheers for the responses.

julie

wonderplumb
27th March 2008, 05:34 AM
it isnt necessary to tighten things the whole way

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2008, 06:30 PM
Go to yer plumbers supplier and ask for a tin of Hawkin's Paste.

Just a match-head sized blob smeared into the female thread (with t/tape on the male) will eliminate almost all leaks... even those caused by miscast fittings.

Caveat: too much can cause other problems (partly why it's not widely recommended outside the trade) and it really ain't a good choice for use on filtered lines unless you're willing to purge after pressure testing.