PDA

View Full Version : Rainwater tank and plumbing DYI?

Ashes
21st March 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I'm located in Melbourne.

Just in the process of finishing a shed at the moment which will need to be connected into my storm water pipes. I am also looking to put in a large rainwater tank behind the shed. Hoping to fit in a 23000lt tank (might have to excavate 500mm or so). I'm looking to feed the tank from stormwater pipes (which include the runoff from the house, garage and shed) which means I'll need to replace my downpipes with polypipe.

The questions I have are..
- can I connect up my own stormwater for the shed or must this be done by a licenced plumber?

- Am I allowed to do the downpipe replacement myself on the house or do I need a plumber?

- Can I do the stormwater pipe work into the tank myself or licenced plumber?

- What are the requirements for tank overflow, does it need to be piped back into the stormwater pipes?

thanks,
Brian

Ivan in Oz
21st March 2008, 10:07 AM
G'Day Brian,

I am in a similar situation.
I ask myself, "May I do some of my own plumbing?"

NO!
I may not:(
one has to be a registered plumber. As with 240V House Electrical WORK:cool:

BUT!
I know that "IF" I were to do so,
it would be much better than some of the work I have seen over the past couple of years.
I also have a Plumber who will check it, and sign off on it:2tsup:

China
21st March 2008, 09:56 PM
In SA. there is no licence requirement for stormwater, just must comply to council regs. Don't know if it is the same in Vic.

wonderplumb
23rd March 2008, 10:50 AM
Same here the local council has authority over stormwater installations, you can do the pipework yourself, in and out of the tank, you can replace your downpipes, tank overflow is usually connected back in to the storm water, but check all this with your local council.

h4lcy0n
24th March 2008, 11:44 PM
Hi All,

I recently started my water tank project (I have poured the slab, and have all the pvc, connectors, etc), today I fitted the leaf beater and next is the piping to the inlet.

I have a question regarding the best practice for the angle of storm water piping to the tank, someone has mentioned a drop of 2%, e.g. 2cm for every 100cm.

Most of the installation pictures i've found on the net show very little slope in the pipes (as you can see they run almost parallel with the brick work). Some examples :
http://www.ozpoly.com.au/images/products/installation/trad1000.jpg
and
http://www.ozpoly.com.au/images/products/installation/trad3000.jpg

but then here is a pic where the pipes are quite angled

http://www.ozpoly.com.au/images/products/installation/trad4500_2.jpg

Is there a standard, or just as long as the water doesn't stall in the pipes all is okay?.

Thanks,
Aaron

wonderplumb
25th March 2008, 05:29 AM
minimum fall is 1:100 for storm water, so 10mm for every metre.

h4lcy0n
25th March 2008, 07:22 AM
minimum fall is 1:100 for storm water, so 10mm for every metre.

Thanks!

dazzler
25th March 2008, 08:27 AM
Our new place has stagnant water in the water tank pipes as they go underground before reemerging into the tank above them.

Its plumbed into the non drinking areas.

The builder told me ( NSW), that you can do your own stormwater but not sewer.

Ashes
25th March 2008, 12:29 PM
Any advice with regard to Victorian plumbing regs. Happy to go through the right channels but would like to have a go at the bits I'm legally allowed to tackle.

Pulse
25th March 2008, 08:21 PM
You may need a DA for a 23000L tank in a suburban area...

just something to think about.

Pulse

Ashes
25th March 2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry, but what is a DA?

bricks
25th March 2008, 09:20 PM
In SA. there is no licence requirement for stormwater, just must comply to council regs. Don't know if it is the same in Vic.

In sa you need a builders liscence or ownerbuilders permit to do stormwater, council can not override this unless they issue you with an owner builders permit.

OBBob
26th March 2008, 09:19 AM
Not sure about the licence but you will not get a rebate without a plumbers certificate (if you care).

Also, DA - development approval.

h4lcy0n
26th March 2008, 03:41 PM
Seems like plumbing regs are much more relaxed here in QLD. Maybe cause it's the "smart state" :; hahaha!

China
26th March 2008, 09:32 PM
bricks, when I contacted the council they said I need no licence no permit they in fact came out and connected the pipe through the footpath at no charge