PDA

View Full Version : Supporting bearers perpendicular to concrete pool

OneEyedMan
18th March 2008, 12:40 AM
Hi,

I've hit a snag in constructing my pool deck. The pool is a partly out of ground concrete pool and the deck design has the boards running in the same direction around 3 sides of the pool. As such I have to mount bearers perpendicular to the pool walls on 2 sides. First side was OK with plenty of clearance and so I was able to support the bearers (2/140x45 TP) at the pool on lengths of 140x45 dynabolted to the pool wall. The problem is that on the other side I have the pipes for the pool filter return to contend with. Ideally, I need around 439mm to work with ( 19 decking + 140 joist + 140 bearer + 140 bearer's bearer), but I only have 365mm before I hit the pipes. It seems I have 3 options - 1) raise the bearers and their supports 140mm and mount the joists in-line - should work but involves lots of buggering about cutting short joists to length and lots of joist hangers, many of which would need to be stainless steel (it's a salt water pool and the plan specifies SS fixings within 1m); or 2) raise the level of the bearer's bearer by 140 and mount the the bearers in-line with the bearer's bearer - this would mean single runs of joists, but I can't work out how to mount the bearers in-line especially considering any bracket would need to be SS in theory (could I use a couple of modified SS joist hangers ?); or 3) I could forget the SS requirement and use heavy duty HDG angle brackets in place of the bearer's bearer and supplement the HDG with extra protection (DPC/vaseline/bitumen paint/etc)

What do you think ? My preference is for either option 2 or 3 as I understand that the continuous joist spans will give me a stronger deck and should be quicker to build. For what it's worth, I'm doing this deck 'legally' and using a private certifier to get the necessary approval. The certifiers have been pretty helpful to date, offering advice when asked ( we had some minor design changes and some problems with the post holes collapsing in the wet weather) and my gut feeling is that if I over-engineered any of the above options it would probably be OK from their point of view. However I don't want to have the whole thing knocked back by making the wrong choice. I'd be interested to here the advice and experiences of others here.

Cheers
Peter

UteMad
21st March 2008, 05:47 PM
will take a happy snap to get accurate info i reckon

cheers utemad