PDA

View Full Version : Info required on decking

32hyb
10th March 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi all am in the final stage of decking frame construction I have chosen to use galv "C" section for longevity .
My question is this I am thinking of using "Chestnut" 90x22 or may be wider hard wood I have seen this "No Nail Decking system" which uses hiteck plastic "T" clips that lock into the timber by way of a groove made with a Biscuit Joiner in the edge of the plank the centre of the "T" has a hole for securing to joist using self drilling screws that have a posi drive head type with an inbiult 5mm gap.
Has anyone out there used them b4 and if so what do they think of them as they sure beat the hell out of drilling an screwing 56sq metres of hardwood decking ,also is it better to go with a wider rather than say 90x19mm plank.???
Regards Allan 32hyb

echnidna
10th March 2008, 09:28 PM
I know that wider decking is available these days, but there's absolutely no way I would use anything wider than 90mm. If my customer insisted on wider boards I'd tell them to get another tradesman.

manoftalent
10th March 2008, 11:22 PM
the trouble with a "no nail decking system" is it is untrialed and relatively new on the aussie market ....I would prefer to "let it develop" a while longer before commiting to it ..I dont have that much faith in "hi tech" plastics ...

oh and by the way, the cost factor would be enough to put anyone off, these deck ties are about $170-80 per 500, and of course for a deck around 5m square ...you would need two packs of 500 .....spending $350-360 on ties plus screws/nails to fix them in place is pretty darn expencive ....

32hyb
16th March 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Bob I take your point its just that being a "STEEL" person bigger ( Wider) is quicker or maybe slowly( Narrower) does it the first time any particular reason why you would not use wider than 90mm.
Regards Allan
Just one more thing is it a must to use reeded hardwood as some suppliers state standard which is pencil round corners and planed all round??.

Connollys
16th March 2008, 09:42 PM
I would check the durability class on the timber you are looking at. I wouldnt use anything under class 2

Cheers:2tsup:

32hyb
17th March 2008, 03:50 PM
:2tsup:Yer hi Craig I was thinking of using Kapuir or Chestnut timber with is readilly available in Adelaide .
One of the problems when purchasing from interstate is that you dont know what your getting unless its with a reputable firm and even then if one is not happy its a long way to send back.
Allan

Connollys
18th March 2008, 05:45 PM
You should be able to source Jarrah or karri in Adelaide, both would be a better option. :D

Cheers

32hyb
25th March 2008, 09:02 PM
:?Hi Craig so I take it that the afore mentioned timbers would NOT be Ok for this job as I do have a budget to follow and these are a tad cheaper that jarah or kauri.
Regards Allan