PDA

View Full Version : Best material for packing bearers ?

topari
9th March 2008, 12:03 PM
I need to raise the flooring bearers by max of 40mm in a few areas. Everything is ready to go. Have removed the flooring, have the jacks ready and ordered new flooring. The concrete stumps have sunk over the years. So what should I use for packing material between the concrete stumps and wooden bearers ?

DvdHntr
10th March 2008, 09:37 AM
First work out whether the concrete stumps will continue to sink.

I would use something that doesn't compress that much like steel plate or even very dense hardwood.

russall
10th March 2008, 10:28 AM
I used bits of old hardwood as I thought it would be "pre shrunk" and used pieces of Firbo for fine adjustment.

Also remember to leave doors open when you are jacking, otherwise you may find they jam ect...

Bleedin Thumb
10th March 2008, 10:29 AM
Hardwood wedges - gives you the opportunity to adjust them if you post does move again, IE just tap the wedge further in.

2 wedges per post - running in line with the bearer - coming from opposite directions.

echnidna
10th March 2008, 10:49 AM
Concrete stumps should not sink.
I suspect they were not installed correctly, you should dig down alongside and see if they are sitting on clay or sand. They may just be sitting on a silty subsoil which can go like plasticine in the wet weather.
If so you need to dig to clay or sand and concrete them in situ (at the right height)

bnpenty
11th March 2008, 10:28 PM
Concrete stumps should not sink.
I suspect they were not installed correctly, you should dig down alongside and see if they are sitting on clay or sand. They may just be sitting on a silty subsoil which can go like plasticine in the wet weather.
If so you need to dig to clay or sand and concrete them in situ (at the right height)

Sounds about right