PDA

View Full Version : setting out profiles and hurdles

bit stressed
7th March 2008, 01:25 AM
I am looking for some advice on setting out profiles and hurdles for our extension.

our extension will be straight off the back of the house, about 100m2 inc verandah with a steel sub floor. The existing house (whats left of it after I demolished the sleepout) is timber frame , not level and with some joist issues ????

someone also advised me to use a water level and run of datum lines rather than worrying about having to hire a laser level.

:?
any advice much appreciated

autogenous
7th March 2008, 01:55 AM
Have you ran a water level over the existing back section?

See how far out it is from one side to the other?

A photo would be good?

Really a dumpy would be better as its easier/faster to pick up heights by sight.
Probably cheaper to hire as well.

http://www.buildeazy.com/plans/helpfiles_profile.html

A couple of bricklayers blocks on the profiles makes it easy to shift the lines back and forth to help align with the house. Once theyre in the right place mark with a pencil then tap in a nail so you don't lose the alignment.

Make sure the stakes for the profiles are well in or they will shift quite easily.

Once you have the height for the outside pegs you can set up height and alignment string lines off the outside pegs.

Certain hardware stores and actually TAFE bookshops such as Leederville may have some very good carpentary books which will help you with this.
It really is worth having a read prior to jumping into it.

What are you using as new stumps? 250 O/D PVC pipe concrete core filled with 10mm rods?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2008, 01:28 PM
Have you ran a water level over the existing back section?
[...]
Really a dumpy would be better as its easier/faster to pick up heights by sight. Probably cheaper to hire as well.

You'd hire a water level? And ya reckon a dumpy would be 'cheaper to hire?'

:hahaha::rotfl:

Sorry, but that's a hoot! :U Still, it's good advice except for the above... errm... aberration.

Vernonv
7th March 2008, 01:56 PM
Skew,
I think he means that it would be cheaper to hire a dumpy, than buy one.

Is is even possible to hire a water level:? It would almost be like hiring sunlight:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I know.

I was just having a giggle at how it seemed to read. :)

silentC
7th March 2008, 02:28 PM
In reference to:

... rather than worrying about having to hire a laser level.

I thought he meant it was cheaper to hire a dumpy than a laser level, so there you go.

autogenous, did you mean? :wink:

rat52
7th March 2008, 02:36 PM
this is what I do for a hurdle.

You can use timber stakes but still screw the cross piece as nailing knocks it around too much.

rat52
7th March 2008, 02:38 PM
sorry pix following

rat52
7th March 2008, 02:43 PM
what am I doing wrong Picture won't load?
I've tried 4 times It says done but when I submit it doesn't show

munruben
7th March 2008, 02:53 PM
what am I doing wrong Picture won't load?
I've tried 4 times It says done but when I submit it doesn't showYour pics may be too large. Reduce them in size and they should load. I think pictures have to be 100kb's or smaller to upload to the site.

rat52
7th March 2008, 02:59 PM
I did reset the file size on the camera because the last time I tried, the browser told me it was too large. This time it said 'done' but nothing showed in the preview or when I posted.As I said I tried 4 times and It must be something I did as we all know computers don't make mistakes:D

rat52
7th March 2008, 03:01 PM
I will go now as I don't want to hijack this thread but if some one can pm me an answer I would be grateful

munruben
7th March 2008, 03:11 PM
I did reset the file size on the camera because the last time I tried, the browser told me it was too large. This time it said 'done' but nothing showed in the preview or when I posted.As I said I tried 4 times and It must be something I did as we all know computers don't make mistakes:DYou will have to reduce the size of the picture if it is too large with resizing software. There are many free programs available to do this. If you are using XP there is a free download from Microsoft called Image resizer which is a shell extension. Read more and download HERE
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx)