PDA

View Full Version : Water proofing block retaining wall

Rob Mey
4th March 2008, 09:10 PM
Hi All

My problem is a besser block retaining wall that also forms part of a new extension wall. I'm trying to water proof the wall with bitumen paint but the directions say the surfaces need to be dry and clean. At the moment with all the rain we've had and the fact that the sun never hits the bottom of the wall, this area that I'm trying to water proof remains constantly damp or wet. Are there any products out there for water proofing that can be applied to wet concrete surfaces?

Cheers

Rob

autogenous
4th March 2008, 11:03 PM
Do you have a picture?

The bitumen wont really adhere to the wet surface.

The only thing I can suggest is try a mix of hydrocrete and neat cement on the wet area.

Once that dries you should be able to bitcote it. Do more than coat at the base. Be sure to go back on the footing as capillary action will drag moisture back into the wall.

If the wall is critical in damping especially if there is drainage aggregate behind it you may look at GeoMat in case any of the drainage aggregate or other aggregate doesn't damage the protective bitcote coating.

Rob Mey
6th March 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have attached a picture (I think) which was taken from the top of the wall (2.4 m high) you can see the water below. If the image isn't right tell me and I'll try again. There is black plastic over the wall

Rob

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/bec_ca89/wall.jpg