PDA

View Full Version : Brickwork problems

brettsyoung
2nd March 2008, 03:24 PM
Hi all. I've got a brick planter box at the end of the patio which is breaking away from the house. The gutter emptied the patio roof rainwater on the ground behind the box which over the years has washed out the soil the soil under it. Should I try to push the box back up to close the gap and concrete? Or can I just fill the cracks and leave it? (I intend removing it in a year or two and continuing the patio into a verandah around the house.) Thanks, Brett

autogenous
2nd March 2008, 03:41 PM
The gutter emptied the patio roof rainwater on the ground behind the box which over the years has washed out the soil the soil under it.The biggest issue people people have with homes is they disconnect their downpipes from soak wells or from the roof. The result is soil subsidisation or loss of compaction where the area is flooded under the footing.

If you have any more of these reconnect to a working soakwell for your house may snap in half and you'll be doing RFQs for underpinning the whole house.

If you intend on renovating the verandah empty the planter box of its soil until you carry out the works. I doubt you'll manage to jack the planter back to its original position even then its quicker to dismantle and reconstruct.

The other issue is that the planter is probably supplying mass to the retainer inside the verandah. Dependant on how thick the inside wall is which is bearing the verandah that may fail as well.
Even a broken retic sprinkler can cause the same issue with this type of structure and retaining walls if close enough.

Judging by the image I would empty the soil contents of the planter and leave it until the verandah is to be renovated in 1 years time and monitor the structure as a whole.

Make sure the water is shifted away from foundations of your dwelling into soak wells within council requirements. Usually a minimum of a metre.

Its not a nice feeling when theres a bang and you have an inch crack through your bathroom right over the ceiling and down the other side. Underpinning a house is not a cheap exercise and not always successful with potential follow visits once the final settling has happened.

In fact if you address the down pipe away from the house and monitor the crack to see if its not active you may be able to leave it for a year.

Brickie
2nd March 2008, 04:59 PM
Its a lost cause Brett, dont try to save it because you cant..once foundation failure sets in there is only one remedy..:doh:

brettsyoung
2nd March 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks Brickie. Figured it had to go. Hate the ugly thing myself. Guess I'll be doing it sooner. Going to be quoting you when I break it to the missus :D.

cheers
Brett